CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

last inserted id mySQL

Print topic Send  topic

kevind

Posted: 12/30/2010, 2:16 PM

hi all,

I'm using standard ASP 3.0 with mySQL for a new project - so far, all the mySQL stuff is working out (first project with mySQL instead of Access).

I need to pick up the last inserted id from mySQL in the After Insert event code of a record form.

I want to use the open connection to the database if possible - I'm assuming the publicly declared CONNECTION variable would still be CONNECTED to the database at this point so I"m using

With Connection
SQL="select last_inserted_id() as lst"
.execute(SQL)
??
End With

questions are
1) can I use the connection the recordset already has open or do i need to make a new one
2) where I have the ?? above, is there a single line I can use to assign the returned ID to a variable or session variable?
3) if no to 1 and 2 above, I assume declaring a recordset against the SQL state will allow me to spin through the recordset and pick up the ID

any help appreciated
Kevin

======================
CCS 3.2.x / ASP / MS Access /mySQL / PHP / jQuery / jQuery UI / jQuery Mobile
View profile  Send private message
kevind

Posted: 12/30/2010, 2:29 PM

never mind - figured it out myself - in the after insert section of the record I simply created a dlookup action that saves the 'last_insert_id()' from the table name I was inserting into to a session variable - easy

follow-up question though - is this last_insert_id(), my last inserted id or the last one any user has inserted ?

======================
Oper

Posted: 01/13/2011, 11:31 AM

Last Inserted ID of that Connection

In Resume User Section/Connection.

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
kevind

Posted: 01/14/2011, 3:24 AM

Thanks all for the information.

======================
azzarev

Posted: 07/08/2013, 7:57 AM

Quote kevind:
never mind - figured it out myself - in the after insert section of the record I simply created a dlookup action that saves the 'last_insert_id()' from the table name I was inserting into to a session variable - easy

follow-up question though - is this last_insert_id(), my last inserted id or the last one any user has inserted ?

Can you tell me step by step how you did?

:(
kevind

Posted: 07/10/2013, 6:23 AM

hi azzarev,

I took a quick look at the project and I can't recall what I was trying to do at the time or if I went to another solution.

I found this in an area of the system:
Session("LastProjectID") = CLng(CCDLookUp("last_insert_id()","Project","",DBmySQLconnection))

So I think I was trying to grab the last ID in a project table I have and then use that to add records in related child tables.

My experience in Codecharge is that you'd need to use the above in a form that has a database connection already OR create a connection before inserting actions (Customer SQL) and fetching the last ID.

hope that helps.

======================
kevind

Posted: 07/10/2013, 6:24 AM

hi azzarev,

I took a quick look at the project and I can't recall what I was trying to do at the time or if I went to another solution.

I found this in an area of the system:
Session("LastProjectID") = CLng(CCDLookUp("last_insert_id()","Project","",DBmySQLconnection))

So I think I was trying to grab the last ID in a project table I have and then use that to add records in related child platforms.

My experience in Codecharge is that you'd need to use the above in a form that has a database connection already OR create a connection before inserting actions (Customer SQL) and fetching the last ID.

hope that helps.

======================

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login