CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

CodeCharge Studio doubs

Print topic Send  topic

Giu

Posted: 04/06/2014, 2:50 AM

Hi all,

I'm downloading CCS to try it.

Looks a very interesting tool, but I'm a little afraid about some of the comments readed on forums about lack of support and unkown state of YesSoftware company.

We are a company looking for a tool to create little PHP modules to integrate in CMS to extend functionality and offer custom modules to our customers, and to use it too as our Development tool for our Web projects (custom shops, custom CMS, ERP/CRM and so on).

About tools we are looking, our list basically is into CCS and . Both looks very capable for our needs of personalization but I would like to ask to CCS community about their opinion.

Regards.
View profile  Send private message
ckroon

Posted: 04/07/2014, 1:08 PM

I love CCS 4.
Great product.. powerful tool.

Posted: 04/07/2014, 2:12 PM

Hi
product Idea: great
product implementation: goog
product performance: poor
product support: very poor

I have developed a lot of systems with CCS, one big problem is performance when you have too much files on a project

Also a problem is the speed of design of the product, they are some years late on web technologies

But it a great tool to be productive and make money developing web software

regards

Carlos

www.leytec.net
RoyBaird

Posted: 04/15/2014, 10:48 PM

Yes, I agree with Carlos. I am so pissed off right now. I have been using CCS since version 3. loved it. I get pretty good support results, but I should not need support if the tool did not crash so much. Version 4 crashed so many times on me and the answer is always, uninstall, reboot, reinstall. That is a crappy answer. FIX THE CODE. Now, I had to go to 5. Created new project, added new page, clicked on tabbed view and the window closed so fast if I blinked I would have missed it. Did the "normal" support steps, BOOM same thing. If this tool can't support the most current trends and stay up with technology, then I need to be looking somewhere else. Any suggestions? BTW, Win 7, MySQL, PHP....

Posted: 04/17/2014, 7:51 AM

I love CCS!

I think it really depends on your target application's intended lifecycle. We have a 9 year old application that was created in CCS 4x. We still support it today. Most of the problems being posted now relate to *upgrading* a project from CCS 4 to 5 intermixed with Windows 8/8.1 issues. We chose to not upgrade our product into CCS5 but rather end of life the old product and create new in CCS5. Lots of things like reports, basic forms, and tables port over fine from 4 to 5 but a few heavy hitting pages are going be recreated in 5. Again, old product still in CCS4, new product is in CCS5. Minimal headache!

CCS Support has been fine for us. Worst case was they couldn't answer something then we found our own work around. Never did we throw our hands up and blame CCS... we had a job to do.

Also worth noting... Back in the day I ran CCS4 on Vista for 3 years (not by choice... its what they gave me). Get your dev environment stable and stick with it.... don't try to upgrade everything all of the time.

Good Luck!

Posted: 04/20/2014, 2:02 PM

I have not had the problems some have reported but there were more problems in version 5 at first and it took a long time before it worked well. I am running on Win 7 and held off trying to convert a large project started in Ver 3, migrated to 4 after the project was deployed a year or so and it converted well. When it was time for Version 5 features for a new project there were a few problems but each bug fix release solved some problems so finally decided to convert the original project, a shopping car and many back office functions in a really complex system. I waited until just recently to convert that old heavy project, using the current version from Oct 2013. I would say it has been really stable for me.
Once you get used to it, it is really powerful, and lets an almost non-programmer like me create really effective, secure stable business applications for internal use and a shopping cart that has a lot of features not needed in most carts, like printing tickets and scheduling complex shore excursion itineraries, creating visa documents, scheduling resource, guides, requesting tickets for tour appointment times in many museums, palaces and cathedrals, and much more.
If I did not have it, it would have cost $100k to have the system build, based on the last quote we got for one that was 1/2 as complete in back office order processing,
So I am sold on it. Their might be newer frameworks but none that work with so little work.
I have not seen the performance problem cited above. I have 28 staff banging at it all day long plus 50-100 customer bookings every day, and never has sluggish responses.

The only problem I have is with the business<>communications, with YesSoftware. Not support, I have needed it very little and it was always there when it was needed. I am referring to a web site that had not even had its copyright year updated for 5-7 years, and no announcement or any marketing activity, no contact with the outside world as if they were in solitary confinement.
At least an announcement every couple of years would have been appreciated such as "we are still here, we did not go out of business and someday we will get a new version out" Anything to show they even existed would have kept most of the people who left it, in the fold.

I bought it first when version 1 of CodeCharge was first released and upgrades though every version. CCS came out later and had more features, was more capable but it took longer to create simple master-detail forms and such. I like version 4 a lot and did most of my work in it even after getting Ver 5 but now have switched fully and think it is pretty stable and very capable. Ver 5 was the first to really integrate with Artisteer well, YesSoftware's other project that seems to have taken most of its time.
If I had to do it all over again, yes, I would buy CCS again. It has paid for itself many times over
Giu

Posted: 04/20/2014, 2:30 PM

Thanks for your comments.

I see it as a great tool, and I would like to use it, but there are some things I see very important. First of all, in modern times, any move in months is not a good signal.

Maybe CCS 5.x is an excellent development tool, for this reason I don't understand why they aren't promoting, marketing, updating etc... If they don't have competence "good", but exist a real direct competence (and a very good product by the way).

Well, I still have a little trust to get answer to my email
postgres

Posted: 04/22/2014, 12:33 PM

Since we are up for a support renewal this week we asked the CC support through the official support forum about their future plans.

Well the answer started with:
"As far as I know we never post information about "CCS future". We only provide such information when a specific update or upgrade is being released. We do not have access to that information until it is announced by the company."

and ended

"I do not recommend renewing the support contract if you're not comfortable doing so."

I reckon there is a hint there.

We are with Codecharge for 10 years and the cost of switching our products developed in the CCS to a different platform is going to be prohibitive. But if the long term viability is not guaranteed we have a very little choice there.

I also tried to call their support line both sales and customer support today but it goes unanswered to a voice mailbox. Surely this is another reason to be concerned.
Stanj

Posted: 05/05/2014, 3:50 AM

At one time, visiting a developer convention YesSoftware had demonstrations and handing out CD demo disks, I think around the time Version 3 was going to be released, talked with the president. He indicated the developers were located in Ukraine but at that time the head office was in the south Bay Area of San Francisco. That made sense, a lot of companies use contract developers in Russia and Ukraine, there are a hundred such companies here in St Petersburg.
The lack of action on the bug squashing could have to do with the civil war that is developing in Ukraine, the economy is collapsed, banks are shutting down and imports and exports have come to a standstill. Friends of mine have not been paid in 3 months.
Unless YesSoftware moved development operations elsewhere it might be a while before they even have access to their project members there.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login