CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Is CCS5 still a viable product ??

Print topic Send  topic

almondwong

Posted: 05/09/2014, 3:09 AM

I just purchased CCS5 and do some test, and found it is not usable. I already spend money, before spend too much time, anybody can comment is CCS5 still usable.

I attracted by the APP Builder and AJAX features, but this features is a mess.

I haven't did one line of program, just use the APP Builder to generate single record master file list.

I use the Application builder to build search/grid/edit forms. I selected
"Alternate record" in the Grid tab and "In separate AJAX dislog" in the Record tab.

1. In the generated program, the highlighted row would not call record form
while the one with normal color can.

2. I created a new folder in the Pages and move the above program to it. I
follow the on screen instruction to change all. Then, the record form is not
called, it always point to the original location.

3. After Add/Delete some pages, publish through FTP to server is dead. I follow the support's suggestion to reinstall at a new machine has no luck.

Point 1 and 2 send to support has no reply for 20 days. And point 3's suggestion is tell me to reinstall.

The version I download is 5.1.1.18990, the latest version. The generated script is PHP.

Regards,

Almond Wong

Almond Wong
View profile  Send private message
portaflex

Posted: 05/10/2014, 4:53 AM

If you are a code expert, maybe not. You will find thousands better way to code. But in my case, CCS5 is 200% usable and fits my needs.

If you don't know much code you will have to do things in CCS5 way, if you are mid-way you will make CCS5 do things your way 50% of times, if you are code-expert don't need CCS5

Regards.
Jan K. van Dalen
Posted: 05/11/2014, 1:39 PM

Almond ... it depends ... but if you are starting fresh ... I'll look
elsewhere ... as CCS has not evolved in a long long time. If you want
to use it for quick app for internal use ... maybe.

On 5/9/2014 6:09 AM, almondwong wrote:
> I just purchased CCS5 and do some test, and found it is not usable. I already
> spend money, before spend too much time, anybody can comment is CCS5 still
> usable.
>
> I attracted by the APP Builder and AJAX features, but this features is a mess.
>
>
> I haven't did one line of program, just use the APP Builder to generate single
> record master file list.
>
> I use the Application builder to build search/grid/edit forms. I selected
> "Alternate record" in the Grid tab and "In separate AJAX dislog" in the Record
> tab.
>
> 1. In the generated program, the highlighted row would not call record form
> while the one with normal color can.
>
> 2. I created a new folder in the Pages and move the above program to it. I
> follow the on screen instruction to change all. Then, the record form is not
> called, it always point to the original location.
>
> 3. After Add/Delete some pages, publish through FTP to server is dead. I follow
> the support's suggestion to reinstall at a new machine has no luck.
>
> Point 1 and 2 send to support has no reply for 20 days. And point 3's
> suggestion is tell me to reinstall.
>
> The version I download is 5.1.1.18990, the latest version. The generated script
> is PHP.
>
> Regards,
>
> Almond Wong
>
> _________________
> Regards,
>
> Almond Wong
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.yessoftware.com/
>
JohnJohnJohn

Posted: 05/12/2014, 1:33 AM

sadly, I would have to say NO! CCS was once a GREAT product. truly amazing! I have been a customer for several years and have paid my support fees every year even though I have not used support very much. but this year I had very bad experience with their support taking weeks to get help and receiving rude email from the company when I complained! finally I decided to solve the problem a different way as they could never help. they never participate in this forum any more and based on my recent experience their support has evaporated.

with that said you can still produce amazing database apps using CCS but I have found that all of the productivity gains realized when using it can disappear in an instant when you need to do something CCS does not do! manual coding within CCS is MUCH HARDER than manual coding on your own app!

so, if you need to do standard things such as those tasks in the examples it is a lifesaver. but if you need to go beyond you may want to simply build your application from scratch or find a different tool!

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login