CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

ugh! Newbie Desperately needs help!

Print topic Send  topic

Kassandra
Posted: 03/12/2003, 10:48 AM

Hello,
Need some help. I'm a newbie. (We all have to start someplace). And, I'm currently trying to test codecharge.

But, I'm stuck at the gate. I read the manual. Read the Quick start. But didn't find either enlightening. Probably due to my lack of experience and knowledge.

I have the current version dl on to my hard drive. CodeCharge 2.x. I'm running Win98. I unzipped codecharge into appropriate files. I have dl AND installed the current version of ODBC 3.51. And, I am stumped at "Properties".

My server has Mysql + PhpAdmin and is on Safemode. I have the mysql database name, user name and password. That part is ready to go.

At this point I am simply trying to make a connection with my database.

GENERAL:
I will be using Php4.0 w/Templates

PUBLISHING:
1. Location:
I've tried both ftp and local/network. Wasn't able to connect with either one. The ftp with and without passive mode.

What is recommended?

2. Path/Folder:
Are we talking absolute filder:

/usr/local/psa/home/html/classifieds

Or, are we talking:
mydomain.com/classifieds

3. Live Site URL:
I assume this is: http://mydomain.com/classifieds, right?

DATABASE:
1. Type & Data Source Name:
Here, I am totally confused. According the manual, with mysql and php, I should use DSN. No problem. But what do I use for the Data Source Name?

I'm using mysql on the server. I do have MS Access 2000 but haven't installed it. Should I install it and choose it for my DSN? Tried ODBC 3.51 but it says that I'm not allowed.

2. Server/Hosts:
Is localhost ok or do I need mydomain.com?

3. Join Style:
Have no idea what this is, so don't know which to choose. Which would be the easiest to work with and what does it do?

FINALLY:
I have uploaded the example classifieds to my server. I have made the appropriate changes in common.php. What am I supposed to do from that point? Do I dump the classifieds_mysql into PhpAdmin?

And, do I need to chmod any of the directories?

I know, that's a lot of questions. I've tried for the last week to figure it out on my own without success. I would appreciate anyone who could take the time to help out a newbie. I've heard a lot of great things about this program and think it is exactly what I need. I just need help getting started.

I'm hoping some kind soul will take pity on me and give me a little shove in the right direction.

Thanks!

Kassandra
P.S. Perhaps the problem is with the ODBC? Do I need to place something in the SQL Command on Connect? Otherwise it simply tells me that I'm not allowed. (Yes database name, user and password are correct.)
RonB
Posted: 03/12/2003, 11:22 AM

from your message i understand you have a website wth an isp that also gives acces to php and mysql.

This means you probably can not connect to the database using odbc wich is needed fro the development fase in CC. Most providers only allow acces to mysql from localhost wich means any code has to run on the machine at your isp.

This means you will have to install mysql on your windows machine and use that for developing. It would be prudent to also install php and apache and also phpmy admin on your windows machine. You the well be able to develop on the windows machine, publish on the windowsmachine and then upload the site like you would any other webpage using FTP. You can use phpmyadmin to generate a .sql file with all the database data wich you can import into the dtabase at your isp.

Assuming you did as I mentioned you'd then have to take the folowing steps.
1. create a dsn with the odbc manager under windows (propperties are easy, just fill in the textboxes with the name of your database(for example classifieds) the server where mysql is(localhost) and your username for mysql. Give the dsn any name you want you'll use this in cc to select the dsn.

in CC set publish path to the directory in apache(for example c:\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\classifieds. Set live site to localhost/classifieds
These values have nothing to do with the site as such they just help cc to publish and display data inside CC.

Join style sets wich kind of join will be used (inner join on bla bla or a join like where sometablefield=+othertablefield.) this has to do with different sql dialects. for mysql just use inner/outer.

When uploading to your isp you have to do several things. Your server settings in connections is probably already set right because most isp require localhost. Use phpmyadmin to get the databse at your isp in the same condition as your local database.(use export to file and load the file thrue the phpmyadmin webinterface).

If you are a newbie to more then just CC(meaning you have no idea how to set up php/apache/mysql on your pc) you'd better look around for someone in your neigbourhood that has experience in these things or allow someone to do it remotely with for example microsoft netmeeting.

From what I understand from your message I think it would be prudent to first read up on some info regarding mysql/php and apache. It isbn't that hard but good preparation is half the work. A general knowledge of sql is also a good thing to have since it will probably greatly enhance your CC pleasure.

Ron

Rene
Posted: 03/13/2003, 7:11 AM

Hi,

For easy localsetup of apache/php/mysql you could checkout http://www.apachefriends.org/index-en.html

Works like a charm.

Goodluck

Rene
zeromaster
Posted: 08/28/2003, 3:57 AM

you can get a group(mysql,apache,php) to fully function on your website.It will do most of setup for you.If an amateur like me can do it , you can !
go to "phpdev downloads" at:-->
http://firepages.com.au/
David S
Posted: 08/30/2003, 8:24 AM

I used a image CD called nusphere !free! that installs and configure apache, php, phpMyAdmin and MySQL with just one click on a windows machine. And there are others. For development is highly recommended testing your project in your local server. After done it, you must try the cc examples to understand how cc environment works.

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login