CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

How to connect to MySQL?

Print topic Send  topic

dsfdsf
Posted: 08/21/2003, 8:11 PM

Always get error message about session and the database
RonB
Posted: 08/25/2003, 2:48 AM

You do not state the language you are using. In case of php: Check if the temp dir mentioned in your php.ini file actualy exists. If not chabge the line in php.ini or just create a temp dir in the location php.ini is pointing at.

If that isn't the issue you might want to publish the error here so we can see if the error message is giving any clues as to what is going on.

Ron
glerma
Posted: 08/25/2003, 10:13 AM

Yeah. That's a REAL descriptive explaination!
RonB
Posted: 08/25/2003, 2:43 PM

Sorry to hear you didn't find my answer helpfull. If you had published the error message, stated if you use CC or CCS, wich coding language you use I might have given a btter answer. I guess you don't need the help seeing your reply, so I'll leave your questions be the next time.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Ron
DaveRexel
Posted: 08/25/2003, 2:58 PM

::
it's a pity to see two of our most experienced CCSers going into flame-mode over a very poorly phrased question.

As dsfdsf does not give any details the RonB answer was correct as PHP sessions are dependent on a writeable /tmp folder, dsfdsf does not state if the database is local (ODBC needed) or remote (phplib used) so how should the answer be phrased?

If people do not state their problems clearly, or at least try to post error messages and system descriptions, there is very little others can help them with... hope we can act responsibly as a community here -> where the newbies come to graze ;-)

Dave
glerma
Posted: 08/25/2003, 3:19 PM

RonB. Sorry man..

My answer wasn't intended towards you. It was intended towards the originator. I was agreeing with you!

Sorry.
g.
RonB
Posted: 08/26/2003, 2:34 AM

Well I guess I goofed up to. Didn't realy look so thought the answer was from the original poster. LOL Oh well. No hard feelings he.

Ron
doidom
Posted: 08/26/2003, 12:18 PM

I've noticed glerma has a tendency to provide anwers not very relevant to the actual topic
glerma
Posted: 08/26/2003, 3:19 PM

It's absolutely relative.
RonB
Posted: 08/26/2003, 3:45 PM

"I've noticed glerma has a tendency to provide anwers not very relevant to the actual topic "

Then look again. You might even notice he's almost always right on the money. He's getting frustrated by the lack of care people take in formulating the questions. It's one of the reasons I sometimes stay away from this forum for days. It's hard to stay polite when people do not even take the time to formulate their questions in a way others can understand. Just look at this one. No mention of product version(CC or CCS), coding language(asp php perl etc), server enviromen (linux, windows etc etc) Technically this wasn't even a question, just a statement. Further more most people don't even take the time to follow up on the help offered. Did it work?

So I can understand Glerma getting a bit frustrated. Maybe my way of handling this frustration might be something to try. Take a few days of, have fun and get back here all nice and refreshed. Works for me.

Ron
doidom
Posted: 08/26/2003, 5:34 PM

I just want to stress again please don't reply if you don't have answer or direction to an answer. I'm new to CC and have posted 2 questions both of which I thought were well phrased. Neither of which have been answered in any constructive way regarding the actual topic. So Glerma and RonB if you don't want to help just don't $@#%! respond. I noticed almost half the inquiries go unanswered which I would prefer to what I've read today (my first day and probably last).

RonB
Posted: 08/27/2003, 12:06 AM

First of... this isn't a helpdesk it's a forum. If you want a helpdesk go to support.codecharge.com

I hope you realise we are not getting paid to provide answers. We do this in our own time and free of charge. The least you could do is phrase your questions in a way people might actualy understand what it is your asking help for. State your product version (since this forum is for both CC and CCS users)Provide info on the coding language you use (keeps php people from answering your question when you actualy need asp help).

Having said that I will honour your request and will not respond to any questions you might have. It was never my intention to bother you. Just wanted to provide some help. If it is not apreciated I ofcourse will stop offering it. You might want to check wicjh people do a lot of volunteer helping on this forum before you drive them away. You might lose a source of support you could be in need of.

So no more trouble from me, doidom. Go figure it out yourself.

Ron
glerma
Posted: 08/27/2003, 9:14 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, doidum.

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with anyone. You know exactly why I said what I did. Doidum, your two posts on August 26th speak for themselves. Now how in the heck could you expect a quick, helpful answer with questions like that? Don't get mad. Correct the situation in the future with better information, and move on. It is indeed true that people should not say things if they are not contributing. But you are truly not helping your helpers by asking these questions! It's posts like this one that drew me into my "frenzy" yesterday. I am truly sorry that I acted that way. I only want to help, not hurt. As RonB stated, this is a forum. I was stating my opinion. But I would also say that it's questions like yours and the one above that fill-up needless space on this forum.

Look at the question posted below and tell me exactly how this helps out the user in finding an answer?

" Always get error message about session and the database "

This could have a myriad of causes, but it follows no reason or logic in it's statement. It does not allow the person who "wants" to help out, narrow down the question to a maybe a few possible answers. I would say that all this tells me is there are possibly hundreds of possible causes and proposed solutions, based on the current information given.

I have been posting here for OVER two years now! At first I was happy to try to help out anyone I could. I share a common bond with people here. I love the software. When there was just Codecharge, there were less problems with the posts, other than people not specifying the Programming Language. But ever since Studio came out (early 2002, I think) it has become increasingly difficult to find, share and disseminate information on this forum. There has been a flood of people firing off incomprehensible questions and expecting answers. Heck some even thought this forum was part of their paid support privileges! I started out at first asking "nicely" for people to put some logic into the questions that they ask here. This never seemed to work. I think part of the problem is with Yes software's negligence with updating this site. I have even tried several times, by writing to Yes Software to please make updates to this forum. Even minor updates would have a beneficial outcome for everyone who is in need of information about Codecharge or Codecharge Studio. They have yet to do anything about it. This is the unfortunate consequence of this un-moderated, un-categorized forum. You know some forums are very strict on the type of questions being asked and they are moderated by certain users. I think that people abuse this fact unrestrained here! Maybe unconsciously, maybe not. If more people were to act responsibly with their questions, then there would not be people like me responding as I do.

Maybe I will "retire" from helping others out here. I suppose I'm too jaded to continue this anymore in an effective manner. There are still plenty of outstanding folks out there such as "RonB" and "DaveRexel" to name a few, who will continue to provide a great level of support on this forum. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me doidom. I will say no more of this subject.

Maybe perhaps over time you will see my point.
~glerma
DaveRexel
Posted: 08/27/2003, 10:51 AM

::

I agree with glerma & RonB : this forum is not a helpdesk, to be helped you must provide details of the problem and remember === DO NOT abuse the kind people helping out.

When asking questions please post CCS/CC + version nr, windows version and service pack + IE ditto, database and server technology with details eg here's my laptop config

CCS 2.1.1.20, w2k sp4, IE 6 (fully updated), mySQL v4.01, IIS with PHP v 4.3.2

my production environment varies as I develop many websites.

Then give as much detail === error messages etc so the problem can be analysed...

Let's try to persuade Yes-Software to update this forum as it is primitive, insecure and definitely not representative of what the software is capable of.

I have reduced the amount of answers I post due to my distaste for this forum in its present form, plus the feeling of being used as free labour by said company.

Dave

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login