CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Common ISP's

Print topic Send  topic

Simmy
Posted: 08/28/2003, 4:08 AM

Sorry Guys - would you say that RedHat linux servers were the Hyundai or the Ford of the server world i.e. common place. They only support a thing called Chilli ASP and MYSQL databases with DNS-Less connections. My Access database and ASP 3 with Jet DNS-less connection works fine on my IIS but is incompatible with the Clients ISP. I should have looked before I leaped. What I need to do now is to convince him that his servers are rubbish and that the norm would normaly work and therefor that he should move. Any suggestions as to alternative ISP in the UK that would work?

Cheers,

In deep,

Simmy
RonB
Posted: 08/28/2003, 4:27 AM

your comparison is right but I'd prefer to see the hosts that run on apache/mysql/linux etc as being the mercedes everyone can afford. If you look at the trouble MS solutions give you at an often much higher price I'd take apache and mysql anytime. My host(Netherlands) charges 8 euro per month for php/mysql running on linux. I have some clients in the USA and I found hosting for them with that configuration for just $7,99 per month. I haven't seen asp/.net hosting with sql server at those prices.
Then again.... I wasn't realy looking. Open Source is what keeps my products affordable so why change to MS based solutions.

If you realy need to convince your client the ultimate arguments for most people are money and security.

- Hosting is cheaper and could save your client a lot of money depending on the hosting sceme he has now.
- Apache and mysql are supported by a very large community of developers. Most bugs/security issues are solved in days instead of weeks at MS.
- Both Apache and MySQL also run under windows so if your client has the need of backup/development servers for the website they should be easy to setup and maintain and again he'd save on the liscence fees.

I use the apache/mysql and in my case php combination for the intranet I designed for my employer. Never had any problems. Stable, fast and cheap. Just look at what the liscence fees are for sql server. MySQL is free since we do the support and maintanance ourselves (even though none of us are guru's at this stuff). We also connect to our Oracle database to get managment info on the intranet and it all works like a charm.

Ron
fred
Posted: 08/28/2003, 10:51 AM

You can get asp with MS-Access hosting for reasonable prices now. The problem is typically reliablity - many asp programmers don't close objects properly so the servers suffer from memory leaks, slow downs and reboots. With shared hosting, there is little oversight of the asp programs running on the servers. Make sure you go with a reliable host that has internal performance monitoring and/or software policies.

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login