CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Getting CodeCharge to work with .Net 2003

Print topic Send  topic

Randy Walsh
Posted: 09/06/2003, 9:09 PM

I had trouble getting CodeCharge to work at first. Here is what I did to get it to work.

1st) CodeChange needs to know where the VBC.EXE compiler is (for VB). On my machine (standard default .NET installation) it is at:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

You need to put this path into code change (Tools>Options>Paths>.Net SDK)

2nd) You need to create the proper IIS Virtual Directory. I did this by using Visual Studio .Net to create it for me. Go into Visual Studio .Net and choose File>New>Project>ASP.NET Web Application. Give it the same project name that you gave your CodeCharge app and run it (F5). This creates the IIS directory and sets up the correct persmissions to run/debug in that virtual directory (in my case, WebApplication1)

3rd) Next, in you CodeCharge project, Double Click on the Common Files in the Project Explorer. Code Charge will create a tabbed dialog of all the Common files. Skip to the "Web.Config" file (use the right arrow button) - its the 2nd from the last. When you click on this item, you will see a a line like:

<!--WebConfig @0-9EE51115-->

You need to add the following line before this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

Then save the web config file (close it and say yes).

You should now be able to publish your code charge project and run it.

Rodster
Posted: 09/29/2003, 2:10 AM

Man! Your article is a life saver!

However, there is something I do not understand. Specially with step 2. What are the differences of the virtual folder created in VS.NET 2003 and the folder created via IIS Manager?

Obviously, the folder created via IIS Manager doesn't run the CCS generated app. And if I run the makeall.bat file, it generates a lot of errors.

The reason why I'm asking the difference is that I don't want to use VS.NET 2003 to create the virtual folder on the deployment machine. I have to create the virtual folder manually. I badly need advise on how to do manually what VS.NET 2003 did to create the virtual folder.

I'm using CCS 2.2.2.40, VS.NET 2003, and under WinXP. Deployment is Win Server 2003 and .NET 1.1.
rodney@lanesystems
Posted: 09/29/2003, 7:16 AM

Posted my earlier post too soon.

I finally found a way to let CodeCharge Studio 2.2.2.40 to work with .NET v1.1.
1) Let VS.NET 2003 create the virtual folder
2) After generating the VS.NET code (either C# of VB), load the project under VS.NET 2003 (VS will ask to convert the project file, click yes) and compile from there.

I'm looking at this as there is a flaw on the generated compilation batch file as the app doesn't work well if it's just compiled via the batch file. The application works only if its re-compiled under VS.NET 2003.

I hope CodeCharge will have a solution to let it work smoothly on .NET v1.1

Cheers!

Rodster
Tom
Posted: 09/29/2003, 7:25 PM

I've been running CCS with .net 1.1 on a Wxp and a W2003 server for several months now. I'm running 2.1.1.20 version at the moment as I haven't had a chance to load the new version and make sure my projects are ok.
First question: Why did you add that xml version to the web.config? I haven't and had no problems.

How to publish a .net project is also discussed at CCS website which does the same items you have listed. http://support.codecharge.com/kb_article.asp?article_id=29 (just an fyi) and it tells you how to create a virtual directory in IIS (you need this for any .net project, CCS or other)

I've use the batch file all the time to rebuild the project without any issues. If you just publish one page of your project, you need to go to a command prompt and run the makeall.bat to rebuild the dll.
fyi

Mehmet Ozdemir
Posted: 09/30/2003, 4:54 AM

I'm with Tom on this. I'm running 1.0 and 1.1 framework. What did I do to use 1.1, just repoint the path in tools options to the 1.1 path. As for virtual directory. Just create a dir in inetpub, goto mmc console for iis right click dir properties on the dir I just created and click the "create" button for application.

DONE THATS IT.

As for using Visual Studio, I'm pretty sure that VS.NET is still using the frontpage extensions to create the virtual directory. This NO different to frontpage or interdev.

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login