CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Old Dog, New Tricks

Print topic Send  topic

No Name
Posted: 09/08/2003, 8:56 AM

For the last year or so I've been using CC/ASP/MS_Access combo for my employer.
In the past I used a lot of Perl/MySQL. I see most of the posts here relate to PHP nowadays.

What is the most common hosting platform, IIS(Win) or Apache(Unix variation)?
Is PHP the way to go? If so why?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
RonB
Posted: 09/08/2003, 9:21 AM

php and perl on apache and mysql as database server are widespread and cheap.
The use of php as a serverside scripting language is showing steady growth
For apache market share:
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/200308/index.html

Some general trends for 2003( inlcuding some php info):
http://www.developeriq.com/Magazinestories/03feb6internetpro.php3

I still believe choosing a scripting language is about more then just market share. I use php because it will run on almost any platform out on the net and without even changing a line of code. This means I can "port" my apps to any platform leaving the client with the choice they want to make. The client does not have to use MS or Linux just because that's what my app runs on. With asp that's a whole different kind of ball game.

The reason I first started with php is even more mondain. It didn't cost me a dime in liscences to setup the development enviroment since apache, php and mysql are all free. Once I got to know a bit more about open source etc I had even more reasons to keep using php. The final decision was made by my boss. He's paying through the nose for MS liscences and when I offered him the choice he just leaped at the words "for free". So our company's intranet is build arround apche, mysql and php running on a win2k profesional server because we didn't have the knowhow at the time to maintain a linux server ourselves (this will probably change in the near future and if so..we'll be switchinh the webserver to linux(also for free :-)).

Ron
DvaeRexel
Posted: 09/08/2003, 11:38 AM

::
I have been using ASP IIS SQL server and switched to PHP Apache mySQL/posgres for many of the same reasons provided by RonB. It has been very easy to setup my own servers on Linux but I recommend all my commercial customers to choose commercial PHP hosting as a commercial hosting company provides a layer of security, stability and accountabilty (at relatively low cost) that allows me to get on with designing and building their applications.

Having said this I have recently setup a large Linux based Intranet for my school for > 700 users. It's working well so far :-)

Here's the address to my test-server running on my residential DSL account :

www.ccs.ath.cx (2.5 Mbit Bostream)

and here's a forum housed on my home server with a relatively large userbase and usage :

http://ccs.ath.cx/~lappen/phpBB2/ (open to students at Stockholms Cyber-Gymnasium)

Greetings
Dave
Edd
Posted: 09/09/2003, 12:49 AM

For me the migration is still with Microsoft - My development is still in ASP yet it will move to C# not because I love Microsoft but I get less management issuse selling the concept to Managers who buy my products.

I accept ALL the virtues and arguments for PHP and Linux - BUT it used to be said 'No one ever got fired for buying IBM', the new college grad IT Management I deal with now have ONLY ever used Microsoft so they now tell me 'No one ever got fired for buying Microsoft'. I have tried and tried to sell Open solutions but since my products are CANNED intranet products I no one in my market is buying PHP even though the cost reductions are dramatic.

If you build for Canned Development go ASP / ASP.NET / C#. If you are developing for internals or your OWN environment (and management agrees) go PHP.

My two penneth...

Edd

RonB
Posted: 09/09/2003, 6:30 AM

Here in the netherlands (as already in Germany) government is probably going to push the open source idea to make sure they do net get tied to MS to much. I work in a semi goverment institution so open source is getting a foothold. Management is getting more open to the idea of open source. Maybe the desktop is a step to far for them because it would generate a lot of noise among the workers (mainly because we just started with a new client registration package that had a steep learning curve)) but things like (web)servers, databases and in my case scripting languages are defenitely areas where open source is getting a warmer reception the before.

I think companies will do the same in the next few years. Just look at the succes story of MySQL. They are not only showing that open source is capable of delivering an excelent database server but more important..it can do so and make a profit. The support question is what was holding a lot of managers back but now that mysql and even most linux distributions offer excelent support packages even that will hold them back not much longer.

If MS keeps digging it's own grave with idiotic liscences schemes and forcing the upgrading of pc's just to run their latest OS.... Open source might just be the answer companies are looking for.
DaveRexel
Posted: 09/09/2003, 12:40 PM

::
Reading Edds & RonBs posts one might think that ASP==customers in USA & PHP==customers in Europe/rest of the world but in my personal experience our customers know too little of the background and tend to go with whatever we recommend.

I have yet to meet a customer that has insisted on ASP and all have been happy to migrate away from enriching the richest man on earth once we have explained the technical and security reasons for switching.

Let me add one more line to the old & tired "no one ever got fired for..."
No one ever got fired for raining FUD over bosses so they don't dare opening email attachments without some hand-holding ;-)

Read the Registers BOFH series if you need some tips on keeping pesky superiors dependent on you. And... always do exactly as you please and guard your budget allotment jealously.

Greetings
Dave

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login