CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Limit query result on Grid (Previous, Next etc)

Print topic Send  topic

tHeSmUrF
Posted: 09/29/2003, 12:16 AM

Hi,

I have a question regarding, limiting the recordset returned on the next, previous etc feature of a grid.

At the moment I have a grid set to display a max of 20 records per page. The query that runs the grid reports (using ColdFusion debug) that around 1000 records are being returned, even though I only want 20 per page. So we view the first 20 records, but 1000 records are fetched from the Db....then click next, and the records 21 to 40 are displayed, but again, 1000 records from the Database.

I can't use query cache as this data is changing every minute or so. Is there any way to force the query to start it's fetch a row x and only get next 20 records?

I have already trimmed the query back to the absolute basic number of fields to return, but users are starting to get annoyed at the time it takes for the page to load. (this page is where they spend 90% of their time).

I've have a look through the online help and also through previous forum posts but couldn't find anything to help.

I'm currently just using an MS Access database.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers
Mark
Tom
Posted: 09/29/2003, 7:14 PM

Yeah another CFer! The bottom line is you need to reduce the number of rows returned. No one wants to page thru 1000 records. Especially with the way that HTML pages are delivered to the browser (lots of text) If you go into CCS common files, you can find their CF query that returns the record set and possible add the MAXROWS= to limit the number of rows returned.
Or better yet, add additional 'search' criteria to that page that can help reduce the number of rows returned.
Good luck
tHeSmUrF
Posted: 10/01/2003, 4:17 PM

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login