CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Activation suggestion

Print topic Send  topic

rclayh
Posted: 10/09/2003, 6:02 AM

I got bit late last night by the random reactivation. I recently installed a bigger a hard drive and upgraded. So naturally when I told CodeCharge to activate via the Internet it came back and said that I had exceeded blah blah blah. Now I'm a legal user and I only have CodeCharge running on my laptop. My problem is you are down at that point until you can convince someone at Yes that yes they really did get your money. Could someone at Yes please smell the coffee and fix CodeCharge Studio so that you have a 5 use grace period before stopping completely? I was under the gun to get a project moving and I had to shut down last night because I couldn't work and a damn sure wasn't going to do this project in Visual Studio or Dreamweaver (it's just TOOO EASY with CodeCharge). Thanks for listening.
CRBen
Posted: 10/09/2003, 7:31 AM

Well, did you install your hard drive three times in the space of one month? The message about exceeding activations only comes up if you keep on installing and activating the software not if you do it just once.
Big Bang
Posted: 10/10/2003, 4:56 PM

Just pray that Yes doesn’t get hit by a meteorite sometime in the future.
RonB
Posted: 10/10/2003, 11:11 PM

I'm able to reinstall as many times as I want. Yes registers the IP you use when registering. If you reinstall and then reactivate from the same IP you can do this as often as you like. When the IP you are activating from differs from the one registered at Yes you run in to the once a month limit. I used to have CCS installed on a laptop as well and so I had to make sure that when reactivating my copy after a reinstall I did it from the same network as the last time. I now work from home using vpn so we aquired a second liscense since I no longer use the laptop and thus work on two different computers.

So for the laptop users: make sure you activate using the same proxy as before.

Ron
rclayh
Posted: 10/15/2003, 12:12 PM

Well as it happens I carry my laptop back and forth. And as fate would have it, CodeCharge asked for a reactivation just before I installed my hard drive. It also asked when I upgraded. I guess the reason I was denied was because I was at home when it asked for a reactivation (I had restored from images made before the last activation).

Maybe it's just me, but it seems silly to have an activated copy reactivate over any length of time. I mean, is it in case my laptop gets stolen? Or that I sold it with the software on there? What is the point? How big a problem could that be really? It surely can't be worse than essentially crashing someone's system until they can re-prove they are entitled to the software.

And if it is a big deal, having 5 uses after a failed activation hardly seems like a big deal.
VBAjedi
Posted: 10/16/2003, 10:09 AM

Maybe there's some way around this, but it seems to me that if CC allowed 5 uses after a failed activation, all illegal users would have to do is take a few seconds to attempt to activate once every 5 uses. . . the activation would fail and they'd get another five uses!

I think your situation is (fortunately) not very common. Perhaps a better solution would be a self-validation scheme that lets licensed users get a new authorization code from the CC website once they prove who they are. That would give CC visibility to all attempts to validate so they could spot potential abuses.
rclayh
Posted: 10/17/2003, 6:38 AM

No, the activation would fail, then 5 courtesy uses, then second activation attempt would stop. My problem now is that the program is wanting to be reactivated about every 3rd time I use it. Twice in a row the last two times I used it. Fortunately, it activated OK, but when I need it and it doesn't I'm going to be p'o'ed. I stand to lose $120 every hour I can't use CodeCharge, not to mention missed deadlines, etc. I like Yes and I love Yes Tech Support so I'd be tickled it we could work something out that satisfies their need to protect their product without stepping on my toes. Maybe a key file?

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login