CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

PHP: $Tpl variable scope - fundamental question

Print topic Send  topic

VBAjedi
Posted: 10/16/2003, 2:40 PM

I don't understand the way CCS uses the $Tpl variable. Can you somehow declare an object variable, and then start referencing its methods before you even assign anything to the variable? CCS declares $Tpl as a global inside a function (which is in turn inside a class), and then immediately starts referencing various $Tpl methods and functions. For example:

function Show($Name)
{
global $Tpl;
$block_path = $Tpl->block_path;

I can't see what $Tpl itself is being set to. Unless the global keyword means it is inheriting the classes definition (which assigns a null string as the default value):

var $Tpl = "";

But that still doesn't answer my question - how does the code know what kind of object $Tpl is?

VBAjedi
Posted: 10/16/2003, 3:13 PM

Ok, it hadn't occurred to me that $Tpl might be a special reserved CCS variable, but I just found out in the help files that it is. Doh!

My question now is much simpler: what is gained by declaring it as a global inside a function?
RonB
Posted: 10/17/2003, 12:07 AM

By declaring it global inside the function you make sure that when the function is acalled before $Tpl has been declared global you still cab acces the $Tpl object. I think all it does is put $Tpl in scope.
You do the same thing when you ad an event to a page. You first declare the grid/connection or template object global therefore getting acces to all functions etc that belong to that object. The event itself is also a function.

Ron
VBAjedi
Posted: 10/17/2003, 11:51 AM

Thanks, Ron! Stuff is starting to make more sense. . . good thing, too, cause I don't think my monitor screen could hold up to too much more head-pounding!

LOL

VBAjedi

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login