CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

No db connection.

Print topic Send  topic

Hmpedersen
Posted: 10/29/2003, 6:07 PM

Allright. I dont know anything about php, Thats why i downloaded a free trial of CC Studio2...
Now only problem is, I followed the tutorials... But Im never able to get ANYTHING working.
The database wont work. The site wont connect to it!

How am i supposed to know what to do about that, when i only got the program to learn how to make php sites? I dont learn ANYTHING from a bugged fucked up program with no fuckin support!!!
Hmpedersen
Posted: 10/29/2003, 6:10 PM

Oh btw... Ur most welcome to quote me for this!!!
ryan
Posted: 10/29/2003, 6:24 PM

Hmpedersen I am an ASP developer but I can create very simple PHP w/ templates + CCS application (no customized codes)

Send me your email Hmpedersen

First you have to download the latest PHPTriad from http://download.com

:)
:not_the_usual1
Posted: 10/29/2003, 10:31 PM

Well, it's a tool, not a magic wand. Learning PHP requires more than downloading a product demo - kinda like being a surgeon requires more than a set of hospital scrubs and a Mercedes.

Love the guys that won't pay a nickel to get it done right then have the stones to complain about their 30 minute experience with a demo. There has to be some assumption that you have even the slightest clue. This isn't moron-ware.

Bashers - look, it gets old. If you are so unhappy, take the bullet for the investment (oops, you tried it for free - and complain, even then)and find another tool. Go back to kicking your dog or beating your significant other, please, and let the rest of us work.

I still can't believe you published that message. Wow. And, quote you on what - the display of ignorance or the ignorance itself? Anyway, you only got the "f-bomb" in as an adjective, so you should work on that to get the complete knuckle-dragger, portruding forehead, self-righteous indignation effect .

The empowerment of faceless communications.

Sorry, all - just finds that raw nerve every now and then. Back to my cave.
Hmpedersen
Posted: 10/30/2003, 2:13 AM

Ive spend days trying to make a simple connection to a msaccess db, so i can complete the tutorials!
If that equals 30 minutes experience, then what kind of experience do u have? 1 second?

I was actually close to buying, but only thought id check it out first. Im gonna buy, if only it would work!
Hmpedersen
Posted: 10/30/2003, 2:18 AM

ryan, thanx.
Im downloading phptriad as im typing this, allthough id still prefer to work with my site, on the server its to be used on.

And how am i sposed to c ur site, or send u my email? u didnt give a link...
ryan
Posted: 10/30/2003, 3:37 AM

Hmpedersen I personally would think you work with ASP if it is Access database you are using. But you can also use PHP, but realizing you're impatient read this from codecharge studio help
------------------------------------------------------------
Figure 7-14: Selecting a PHP Database Library

If the database that you intend to use is not among the list, you should find out if there is an ODBC driver for the database so that you can connect to the database through ODBC. For instance, if you intend to use a Microsoft Access database, you could create an ODBC DSN for the database then configure the server-side connection to connect through ODBC. Of course, a Microsoft Access database can only be located on a Windows machines so this precludes deploying the database on a different platform other than Windows.
------------------------------------------------------------

Next I said PHPTriad because it's three in one PHP(server script) plus MySQL (database) plus Apache (web server) no more tedious non-microsoft style, none GUI configuration!!!

I would prefer running using this PHPTriad combination or ASP+PWS or IIS+Access or SQL server... it's your choice, PHP plus Access will work but I strongly discourage since you're impatient you need to set ODBC and tweak stuff etc.

Using CCS plus ASP with templates I can help you easily, porting your codes is easy on a paid site (intermedia) or a free site (brinkster)

Your shot Hmpedersen but don't expect everything to be spoonfed to you, your grievances will soon subside and sooner you'll surpass others as well.
Hmpedersen
Posted: 10/30/2003, 5:23 AM

Actually its not of my choice with the access..
Im simply trying to do the Tutorials so i can learn how to use this.
And the tutorial uses msaccess... And php is because my host doesnt provide asp.

Anyways. I got the exact same problems while using the phptriad: No db connection...

I'll try using asp.. but i doubt if it'll work
RonB
Posted: 10/30/2003, 8:08 AM

Step By Step

install Apache/php/mysql (phptriad)
install myodbc (available from www.mysql.com)
download and configure phpmyadmin (available from www.phpmyadmin.com)
after installing and configuration look at the example sites in the CCS directory. You will find 4 .sql files. 2 for acces 2 for mysql. go to phpmyadmin (in your browser type something like: http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index.php) Create the databases needed for the tutorials (internet and intranet). go to the sql tab in phpmyadmin click on file and browse to the directory containing the mysql .sql files.

Start CCS and go to project->settings click on connection and ad a connection. In the connection window for the design connection click on use odbc datasource name and click on new.
In the window that opens configure a new odbc datasource and choose the mysql odbc driver.
After this is done make sure the name of the new odbc source is selected in the use odbc box.

go to the server tab.

here you fill in the needed info and remember to use the databse name and not the newly created odbc name when they are different from eachother.

That should be it.

In general it is wise to read up on things like odbc datasources under windows,apache/php configuration (read the text files that come with php)

In general: if you think CCS is for people that do not know any programming you are very mistaken. Expect a steep learning curve when you want to get past the fundamentals. CCS generates a lot of code for you but it will not design a good website all by itself. Buy a good book on php and start to read. Pay attention to the oop programming in php. It's possible to learn php with CCS but it's more likely you will learn how to do things the CCS way, wich isn't the same and doesn't have to be a bad thing. A working knowledge of php will make sure you are capable of unlocking the potential CCS has.

Ron

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login