CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Trying to Configure a Connection

Print topic Send  topic

Lupin
Posted: 11/14/2003, 6:33 PM

Product: CodeCharge Studio v2.0

Is there a simple 1,2,3 step document to setup a remote connection to a remote MySQL database? I have used a variety of different tools and am new to CodeCharge Studio, in fact this is my first run at it.

Here is where I am:
1. Create New Project (PHP)
2. New Connection

This is where I lose it. Three tabs, seemingly cryptic documentation (assumed because of ODBC) and a myriad of options.

My requirements are rather simple:

MySQL server on somewhere.com

Database Name: testdb (10 tables)
MySQL UserName: admin
MySQL User PW: 1234
FTP Username: joeblow
FTP User PW: abcxyz
Site: http://www.somewhere.com
Path: test/new
Full Path: home/somewhere/html/test/new

I have an existing MySQL database on a remote internet server, this db is already populated with data and I want to create new forms and UI's for access to that data. This work of course would be done on my local machine working across my internet connection.

I have gleaned so far that I must setup a DSN, another user un-friendly task which I cannot seem to ferret out with my rather meager skills.

I would really appreciate some clear concise help in this area.

Suggestion to CodeCharge: Make a wizard for this; take some cues from DreamWeaver for setting up an FTP/Remote server connection. First question to user "Local or Remote Database", etc...

Many Thanks to whomever may answer this!

Email to:lupin@vol.com
Karen
Posted: 11/14/2003, 11:30 PM

I'm not sure if I can answer all your questions but I can tell you that you'll need MyODBC to setup a DSN with all the login details that you've listed above. You can download that from mysql.com. Once you've got that setup, it's just a matter of selecting it in your project.

Hope that helps!
Nicole
Posted: 11/17/2003, 2:54 AM

Lupin,
In fact the single database connection includes two connection settings: the one is for design time (the connection string for the internet database), it does not affect on the live site. The second connection settings are server side connection which is used for live site.
You can refer to the following Help articles which help you to deploy the site:
Deploying PHP Applications
Connecting to Databases

The first article is devoted to server side connection settings, the last one explains how to create DSN and set up the design time connection.
Lupin
Posted: 11/17/2003, 4:53 AM

Thanksd! I will give that a try!

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login