CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Group By SQL Help, Access & ASP, CCS 2

Print topic Send  topic

ChipW
Posted: 11/16/2003, 3:20 PM

I need a report that summarizes (Group By) by ClassGroup and Class, then total up the number of hours for each Class and ClassGroup. I figured out almost everything but when I add the date column (to do date range query) I lose my grouping, and classes show individually again. I think I need to use a before show row event or something similar, but I'm not exactly sure of syntax and where it should go. I will be happy to prvide details (URL and/or SQL) if necessary or helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Ken Hardwick
Posted: 11/16/2003, 3:41 PM

In order to do a group by on a set of fields and bring in additional fields that are not being group-by, you need to preform a group function on that field.
Like :
If all rows for that GroupClass,Class have the same date, then the three group function will return same answer.

Select
ClassGroup,Class,sum(Hours),max(Date_Field),Min(Date_Field),avg(date_Field)
from
Class_Table
group by ClassGroup,Class

Hope that helps...Ken
ChipW
Posted: 11/16/2003, 4:20 PM

Thanks for the quick response Ken!
I'm not sure if this will help, or I'm not understanding.[the more likely ;-)]

Wouldn't this just return 3 dates for all classes? or 3 dates for each class, in either case wouldn't that skew the date for the date range search?

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login