CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Any word on releasing the code for this forum?

Print topic Send  topic

RoskO

Posted: 12/29/2003, 11:06 AM

Just curious if this forum code will be a downloadable example. This would be nice to see how you did it all.

Thanks,
View profile  Send private message
PetrP

Posted: 12/29/2003, 10:26 PM

In CCS project format for registered users of the "all inclusive" version at least.

I have been using ASP_w/Access for a while now. But php_w/MySQL is a trying experience. Given the already steep learning curve of CCS, I am not a programmer, having a project file of an app that we see working is "priceless".

YesSoftware gurus, I like your product but some of us need more help then others.
Edd

Posted: 12/30/2003, 3:23 PM

If you check the copyright at the bottom you it belongs to Yes Software and UltraApps.

I thinking you may be able to purchase it from UltraApps - Not on their site but you may as well ask.

http://www.syntech.com.au
srinivas

Posted: 12/30/2003, 9:17 PM

Just a quick thought.

You can look at the HTML templates to guess how the code is organized. The forums database itself is a known stuff for years...one can get many forum softwares from the opensource world. Understand the organizational units of managing the information is what it is all about. No doubt, these forums look simply superb. It would certainly be good to get.

-Srinivas
PetrP

Posted: 12/31/2003, 12:37 AM

Quote :
If you check the copyright at the bottom ...

FYI:
- YesSoftware CEO & UltraApps chief architect are of the same ethnic background, Polish or at least Slavic.

- At the same time CC was released the UA site was created with some improved versions of the CC Examples code. Coincidence ???

- There is no mention of any forum on the UA site to date. -- Perhaps when all gets finalized on the YS site it will misteriously appear as part of the UA with some improvements as well.

- YS is in business of producing a great DEVELOPER tool that however lacks documentation necessary for someone to master it. I just looked and the CCS User's Guide was still the old version 2.1
That means no updates and corrections since the 2.1 release are available.

FYI, I had an opprtunity to recommend CCS for deployment on a large U.S. aerospace project. The absence of good documentation and examples KILLED it!
longvu

Posted: 01/05/2004, 8:06 AM

I had an opportunity to recommend CodeCharge Studio to my company developer team. The absense of good documentation and samples make it much harder for me to convince the group. I hope my next proposal which is coming up very soon, CCS will update the documentation and the samples section. :-)
RoskO

Posted: 01/05/2004, 8:25 AM

I'm not sure how this would affect a decision to use the product when most of the knowledge you need comes outside of the product.

Codecharge does a great job at managing the small stuff, and making it very easy and quick to setup user based web pages, shopping carts etc, and other database driven forms. I have used visual studio from microsoft a little bit as well, and I still find myself using codecharge studio for web stuff. I'm not sure why a company wouldn't use one or the other due to documentation of samples. I blame myself, not the product, if I can't code something. After all, if I were an expert at asp.net, or php, or jsp, I should be able to pickup codecharge and pretty much code anything I want, with the help of this tool to generate the easy stuff and speed up the process. I guess, for a newbie good documentation of examples is great, but for a developer that knows what he claims, he should be able to write code into codecharge like it's second nature.

PetrP

Posted: 01/05/2004, 8:50 AM

Quote RoskO:
Just curious if this forum code will be a downloadable example. This would be nice to see how you did it all.

Thanks,

I belive you started this thread. Why if you claim to be such a good programmer?
RoskO

Posted: 01/05/2004, 9:05 AM

PetrP, I'm not trying to start an argument, I just stated the facts. I'm not near as good of a developer as some, but usually if I need code samples I go out on the web and find them, depending on what language I need it in. And yes, I'd like to see how they coded the forum, I wouldn't use it for my own customers, but I just like looking at how things are/were done, you can always learn something new.

And once again, I think CCS is a great product, and lack of samples in documentation wouldn't hinder my decision to use it for a client. That's 100% my opinion, and I realize others have different needs.

Don Safar
Posted: 01/05/2004, 11:09 AM

If you are a registered user you can request download here -->
http://www.codecharge.com/ccsprojects/indexkb.php

"RoskO" <RoskO@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:23ff07b3d0a6b9@news.codecharge.com...
> Just curious if this forum code will be a downloadable example. This would
be nice to see how you did it all.
>
> Thanks,
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.codecharge.com/
>

PetrP

Posted: 01/05/2004, 8:03 PM

Quote RoskO:
PetrP, I'm not trying to start an argument, I just stated the facts.
No offence taken.

The final decision not to use CCS was not mine but rather it was a IT managerial decision in favor of established (read "MS") products.
RoskO

Posted: 01/05/2004, 8:17 PM

I feel your pain. We are forced to use Visual studio .NET as well, but I think CCS is much better for strictly web apps.

peterr

Posted: 01/05/2004, 10:05 PM

Quote PetrP:
Quote :
- There is no mention of any forum on the UA site to date. -- Perhaps when all gets finalized on the YS site it will misteriously appear as part of the UA with some improvements as well.

I'm not sure what you are implying, however it is quite logical that if an application is developed and tested then it will appear somewhere. We've also disclosed the fact that we are working with UltraApps, therefore there should be no mysteries. However, we welcome anyone who would like to offer help to us or our users. It is very likely that if you developed such a forum application created with CCS (even unfinished) and offered it to us then we would be more than happy to utilize it and promote it to others - thus it could later "mysteriously" appear on *your* Website :-)

peterr

Posted: 01/05/2004, 10:07 PM

Quote PetrP:
Quote :
- YS is in business of producing a great DEVELOPER tool that however lacks documentation necessary for someone to master it. I just looked and the CCS User's Guide was still the old version 2.1
That means no updates and corrections since the 2.1 release are available.

There were no relevant changes in version 2.2, however minor corrections are made to the documentation on ongoing basis. Thank you for noting that the version number wasn't changed.
Agree that the documentation may be lacking in certain areas, or rather simply impractical for training purposes. This is the reason why we've focused on creating several tutorials and many practical examples.
peterr

Posted: 01/05/2004, 10:11 PM

Quote PetrP:
Quote :
FYI, I had an opprtunity to recommend CCS for deployment on a large U.S. aerospace project. The absence of good documentation and examples KILLED it!

I'm sorry to hear this, however we've probably created more examples than most other software tool companies, even the largest ones. Are you familiar with the examples included with CodeCharge Studio?
If you didn't find our current examples useful, it is possible that you have custom needs and a larger number of additional examples may not apply to your situation. Please feel free to contact us via our support system with requests for specific examples for our consideration. Please only keep in mind that such examples should be appealing to all users (generic) and consist of no more than 2 pages with maximum 3 forms per page.

Regards
peterr

Posted: 01/05/2004, 10:35 PM

Quote RoskO:

Thanks,

At this point I don't know the answer as we have licensed this forum application from 3rd party - UltraApps.com. We're in talks with them regarding the possibility of sharing the corresponding code and CCS project with our users.
However, besides the licensing there are certain logisitical issues, as for example we don't have the resources necessary to support the complete software applications and we cannot simply accept the responsibility for someone's code.
Note that if any of you or other users are willing to share your application projects, we will consider helping you promote them, however we may not be able to distribute your applications directly.

Regards
PetrP

Posted: 01/05/2004, 11:06 PM

Quote peterr:
... we don't have the resources necessary to support the complete software applications and we cannot simply accept the responsibility for someone's code.

I think YS is already experienced in this regard. The GoToCode section that lists the original CC applications is not supported either. It is just there for anyone to use - AS IS.
PetrP

Posted: 01/05/2004, 11:48 PM

Quote peterr:
This is the reason why we've focused on creating several tutorials and many practical examples.
Why don't you create additional examples downloads page, a library of sorts, for CCS project files and add to them on regular basis. I am sure that your coders can come up with interesing ways to use CCS. I for one do not need the source code, be it ASP or PHP or Perl, but I would like to see where the additional code, if there is any, goes in the CCS project file. We the users can learn from these files and improve on them.
admin
Posted: 01/06/2004, 1:33 AM

Quote PetrP:
Quote peterr:
... we don't have the resources necessary to support the complete software applications and we cannot simply accept the responsibility for someone's code.

I think YS is already experienced in this regard. The GoToCode section that lists the original CC applications is not supported either. It is just there for anyone to use - AS IS.

Please note the 2nd part of my sentence, which you quoted above :-)
---------------------------------------
Sent from YesSoftware forum
http://forums.codecharge.com/
peterr

Posted: 01/06/2004, 1:35 AM

Quote PetrP:
Quote peterr:

PetrP

Posted: 01/06/2004, 7:40 AM

Quote peterr:
Quote PetrP:
Quote peterr:

I said "AS IS" and that means NO responsibility is assumed.

Oh BTW Peter, why are you arguing? What happened to "Customer is always right?" I am your customer but could become someone elses too.
Mike
Posted: 01/08/2004, 10:12 AM

I wrote to Ultra Apps, and they confirmed that after testing they would be in a position to discuss the application further, which seems normal to me.
myag

Posted: 01/08/2004, 7:00 PM

I was browsing the forum a bit and just had to register after I read this thread.

To PetrP: I would greatly appreciate if you do not include me and other software developers in your statements like "We the users". If you cannot use CCS and you are unhappy with the product, the documentation, the examples, the support and everything else then obviously you should be someone else's customer and "represent" their users, not me.

To peterr: I really would like to see YesSoftware grow professionally and wouldn't mind a financially stable company either. Please focus on professionals who depend on your tools and not on examples to make a living. The Forum example would be nice to have for some and a huge money-maker for others. There are many companies whose sole existence is based on developing and selling Web Forums, just see http://www.fusetalk.com. I also wouldn't mind reselling this forum app for you (or UltraApps?). Regardless, I wouldn't want to see someone making $100K off your product while you go out of business because PeterR needs "an example". And then more examples. And later even more examples.
Tell him it's $2K and then see if he really needs it. This is how much Microsoft charges for their Commerce Server - a nice "example" of a Web store.

Posted: 01/09/2004, 1:18 PM

:-)To MYAG: I am fairly accomplished user of CC, not CCS. CCS is much more complex to me and since I do not make my living by programming I really do not want to become a coder. So please do not :- insult my intelligence. BTW at my age this is only a hobby to pass some time.
----------------------------------------------------------------
In ace you did not know: UltraApps is also an example of a company making profit from free CC example code. They took several of the examples published (free to all) on the GoToCode old CC site and combined them to make the Portal and IssueManager. Then added a couple of simple tweaks and begun charging for it.

If you want a want some code to sell there is plenty out there to pledgerize!

I just want to better understand CCS!
marcwolf

Posted: 01/23/2004, 2:41 PM

CCS is a pretty good product.

Sure - like any development environment there will be things you don't like, or ways that could be better. VS has thes problems as well

We use CCS here to create the standard 'drudge' work like add, modify, delete, search.

And then pop behind the scenes to do the custom stuff.

As CCS usually creates about 90% of the code for us then it really is a cost saving help.

Something I think most people should do if they are serious about using a development product - esp one that generate code is to print out ALL of the code in the common files, and then one that you generated and and track throught what happens.

Its interesting - and opens up a lot of things that you can do..

Just my 2C worth..

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login