CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Problems with Task Manager Tutorial

Print topic Send  topic

Barneye
Posted: 03/05/2004, 4:11 PM

Hello!

I am using the 20 day trail and going through the Task Manager Tutorial. I have a few issues.

I always have an error when I try to update or add a Task "You must use an updateable query".

I have run the tutorial 3 times with different problems each time.

First time when it came to section "3.5.1 ASP and VBscript". I got an error about the ASP code being incorrect, it was looking for a function in the "End If" statement. I checked and retyped the code 4 times, no luck. Also had an error about the date format not being set for the date picker from the begining.

Second time the header page was generated incorrectly by the software and none of the pages would display so I did not get too far that try.

Third time during the first test of the Tasks page I got multiple include file errors.

I have also found in section 3.2.6 if I change the field caption, when I view the live page I cannot sort the column.

I am double checking my work to be sure I am not the problem. I really like the software, but I cannot recomend it for purchase if I can't get the tutorial to work properly.

I am running Windows XP SP1 with IIS installed and running. Project Language set to ASP 3.0

Thank you!
langron

Posted: 03/06/2004, 1:34 PM

You're not alone. I was frustrated the first time I waded into the tutorial. It can certainly do more harm than good.

I had the same problem with "You must use an updateable query". I don't remember the specifics of what I did following that error message. But I do remember that the documentation has an error in it. Be sure you when you start lesson 3.3.10 that you click on project_maint and not project_list page as instructed. This seemed to have solved all my problems.

I am also running Windows XP SP1 with IIS installed and running, and I'm using ASP 3.0

Ron L
View profile  Send private message
Barneye
Posted: 03/08/2004, 8:06 AM

Great! I love badly wriiten manuals! Can anybody comment about the accuracy of the software manual for this product? If the tutorial is wrong I have little hope for the manual.

Langron, what section has the error? The section you listed is about testing and login.

Barney
BlinkyBill

Posted: 03/09/2004, 2:49 PM

Quote Barneye:
I always have an error when I try to update or add a Task "You must use an updateable query".

Did you even attempted to read the help, or use the search button in this forum ?

From the help file under Common Errors
In Windows 95, 98 or ME: Right click on the MS Access file (.mdb) and uncheck the "Read-only" property.
In Windows NT, 2000 or XP: Ask your system administrator to setup full access permissions for the anonymous user account called IUSR_<Machinename> to access the database

Quote Barneye:
I have also found in section 3.2.6 if I change the field caption, when I view the live page I cannot sort the column.

This is happening because when are change the field caption you are overwriting some of the template tags. A better way it to right click the field and edit the <A> property.

CCS is a product that once you get over it's learning curve and some of its quirks is second to none !

BlinkyBill

Posted: 03/09/2004, 2:53 PM

Quote Barneye:
Great! I love badly wriiten manuals! Can anybody comment about the accuracy of the software manual for this product? If the tutorial is wrong I have little hope for the manual.

Oh one other thing, the documentation for CCS is at best adequate, not good or great. This is something that I have been pestering Yes! since v1 of CCS, yet it never seems to be a priorty. Yes! please download the .NET framework SDK and use it a reference to what your documentation should look like.

Don't let this put you off as the product is great albeit lack of doco.
Barneye
Posted: 03/11/2004, 11:54 AM

Quote BlinkyBill:
Quote Barneye:

Did you even attempted to read the help, or use the search button in this forum ?

From the help file under Common Errors
In Windows 95, 98 or ME: Right click on the MS Access file (.mdb) and uncheck the "Read-only" property.
In Windows NT, 2000 or XP: Ask your system administrator to setup full access permissions for the anonymous user account called IUSR_<Machinename> to access the database

Quote Barneye:

This is happening because when are change the field caption you are overwriting some of the template tags. A better way it to right click the field and edit the <A> property.

CCS is a product that once you get over it's learning curve and some of its quirks is second to none !

The tutorial steps in the manual should be adjusted to address this.

I did discover the permissions fix. I assumed it was a permissions problem. I have tried the tutorial a fourth time with no problems. I am purchasing a license today!

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login