CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge -> General/Other

Code Charge - Next Release

Print topic Send  topic

peterr

Posted: 03/10/2005, 3:09 AM

Yep, this is the same that we did with CC. Some things stopped working after a Windows update and we've updated CC from version 2.0.5 to 2.0.7. Not a problem with such patches.

As for the project conversion, we all know what you mean. We're still running our support system created with the old CC...
And we use CC to maintain older projects.

BTW, we still sell CC by request.
View profile  Send private message
Angelo
Posted: 03/11/2005, 7:49 AM

So does this mean if we continue creating projects in CC, and for some god awful reason windows breaks something in CC, there will be no patches or support we're just left high and dry?
peterr

Posted: 03/11/2005, 10:02 AM

Hmm, I just wrote the opposite above...
DeWebDude

Posted: 03/11/2005, 12:22 PM

OK reading this really leaves us nowhere. I understand the perspective that CC evolved into CCStudio, but there is an apparent desire to have CC , can you at least take some kind of Poll with registered users as to who would want to pay for the next version thereby seeing if it would pay for itself? There are definate features that are great for the quick and dirty in CC, that don't exist in studio. Additionally I have several projects one of them being HUGE in CC. The code doesn't transfer over to Studio easily ( downloaded the demo and hit the brick wall in the first 2 minutes ) and of course there would be a big learning curve in order to upgrade/convert etc... My client is not going to pay for me to convert from CC to Studio and in a big project like the one I mentioned above there would be countless hours of fixing, changing and finally testing. God forbid that something happens to CC and I can't manage that project. ( got away from the point a bit there ).

I think the polling of existing users is the best way to lay this thing to rest -or- realize there is market out there needing the next generation of CC.

In your comments you say Microsoft doesn't do this or that, but Microsoft ALWAYS gives you a way to update / convert to the new version. In this case we DON'T have one, the code doesn't work... tuff start reprogramming is not the answer I am expecting.

I believe this should be the way most of us CC users feel about the situaion.

peterr

Posted: 03/12/2005, 2:23 PM

I only mentioned Microsoft as an example that most people are familiar with, but it was related to pricing, not to something else and definitely not to Microsoft itself. However if you like to expand on this then we all know that Microsoft pulled off the biggest technology switch in world's history by moving from C++ to C# and VB to VB.NET, which are absolutely not compatible with those previous technologies and there is no way to upgrade, only rewrite thousands of applications out there. Many people are not happy about this, others understand the need for switching to newer and better technologies, yet others come up with conspiracy theories (I'm listing various reactions that I've seen as myself I am not pro- or or against Microsoft.)

Anyway, even if I was wrong I only provided my personal opinion about why CC is not being offered for free, while you're using my examples to prove something opposite - that users should pay more for CC.
Look, I am on your side and I'm not even sure why we should argue when we both agree. If my comments are being misinterpretted and turned against me then I won't be providing my opinion.
AFAIK the company doesn't plan to release CC for free, nor to release new major upgrades. You're welcome to discuss this with the users (including myself) on the forums, or contact the company.

I am not familiar with CC as much as you might be, however for now I also have couple projects in CC that I was assigned to maintain, therefore I will also need to continue using CC and we're in the same boat. Though my solution is to create new sections of the Website with CCS, while leaving the older sections written in CC if there is no time to convert them. This way I have all the new CCS features available to me, while I can continue using and maintaining CC projects as well.
First Prev Page 2 of 2 

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login