CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Replace listbox

Print topic Send  topic

travel-net

Posted: 03/09/2004, 1:12 AM

Hello,

What is the best way to replace a listbox for another solution. If a listbox has more than 50 records in it, than it is hard for the client to select one item from it.

Regards,
Frans
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 03/09/2004, 2:09 AM

How about "Pop-up List" solution/example in CCS Example Pack.
travel-net

Posted: 03/09/2004, 2:16 AM

I used that for a year now but i found a bug in it. if i transfer terdam, the place amsterdam is transferred to sql.

Regards,
Frans
peterr

Posted: 03/09/2004, 2:27 AM

Sorry, I didn't understand your example about terdam.
In any case, bugs can be fixed (contact our support), so the question is if this solution is sufficient, or you are looking for another solution?

travel-net

Posted: 03/09/2004, 2:33 AM

This bug is allready submitted at codecharge support, but i think it will take some days before it is fixed. Therefore i'm looking for another (maybe better) solution and make my client happy.

Regards,
Frans
peterr

Posted: 03/10/2004, 12:47 AM

So, the solution is OK, just don't use the example literally but create your own pop-up list the same way that we did.
For now it seems that your pop-up doesn't work because you copied the example exactly as is, but it was supposed to search for First and Last name, not for Cities. Try analyzing the example and extract only the part that you need, or don't even copy any of our code but utilize the idea. I don't see anything wrong with using "Pop-up List" idea, if you implement it correctly. Since no one else is offering any other ideas I also believe that this is the best method.
travel-net

Posted: 03/10/2004, 1:16 AM

Hello Chris,

What you say is not comletely true. If you See all my posts with Chris, you can see that i had modified the example. I also mentioned the following.
Quote :
Hello Chris,

What about the following:

Change the Wildcard to read From the first character and thus the wildcard at the end; Thus Amster To read Amsterdam and Terd to read Terdam etc.

if($search_name) {
$search_name = str_replace(" ","%",$search_name);
if(!strstr($search_name,"%"))
$search_name = "%".$search_name."%";
else
$search_name = $search_name."%";

My popup was in production for about one year, till we found the bug regarding places like Terdam, Amsterdam, Deventer, Enter. Luckily there are about 20 records we have to change.

Offtopic: I use CC and CCS for about 3 years now and i'm very happy with it. I'm not a core programmer, but a system administrator with a webserver farm which receive 800.000 hits during working ours.

Ass i said to Chris, non-programmers would like more real life examples, advanced techniques on one of your websites.

Anyway, thank Chris for helping me out with this.

Regards,
Frans
RonB

Posted: 03/12/2004, 6:42 AM

I use a combination of listbox and popup search. The serach returns in a combobox. clicking the entry in the combobox selects the entry in the listbox (in the combobox on the popup-> <code>onchange="opener.document.all.listbox.value=this.value")</code> a serach string in the popup for amst could result in amsterdam, amstelveen etc. pick the right place -> on the original page the listbox value coresponding to the value is select ->close popup and continue.
RonB

Posted: 03/12/2004, 6:45 AM

You could even leave out the listbox and just create a texbox that receives the numeric value for the choice. That way you do not load all entries in the listbox-> the popup search only returns a limited number of rows to the combobox based on the search string. That would be easier on the load for the original page.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login