CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

Blqnk Published Plage

Print topic Send  topic

hbycer

Posted: 03/29/2004, 12:24 PM

Folks,

I downloaded CodeCharge Studio on 3/26 and want to sell it to my boss to make my life easier but....

While building my first CodeCharge app, I have successfully connected to my MS Access database and built a simple Grid. When reviwing the page properties, the data is quieried successfully.I have installed the ASP.NET framework and I have VB 6.0 on my pc

However, when the page/project is published, I am returned with a Blank Page. My definition of a "Blank Page" is this: After Publish of the Page or Project or Live Page...I am presented with a ABSOLUTELY BLANK page no headings .... no grid lines... no filter selection dropdown boxes... no sort arrows ... no data, etc ...etc. Not even the colors from my selected theme!!!. All looks fine in design view and the data connection is fine

I am using my localhost as the web server.

Here is the html code which is generated. This looks fine also....

<html>
<head>
<title>NewPage1</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Themes/FoggyDay/Style.css">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#000000" vlink="#000000" alink="#ff0000" background="Themes/FoggyDay/Background.gif" class="FoggyDayPageBODY">
<p>
<!-- BEGIN Grid TMPRIOR_PRJ --><font class="FoggyDayFormHeaderFont">List of
TMPRIOR PRJ </font>
<table class="FoggyDayFormTABLE" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3" border="0">
<tr>
<td class="FoggyDayColumnTD" nowrap>PRJ EPN ID </td>
<td class="FoggyDayColumnTD" nowrap>PRJ NM </td>
</tr>
<!-- BEGIN Row -->
<tr>
<td class="FoggyDayDataTD">{PRJ_EPN_ID} </td>
<td class="FoggyDayDataTD">{PRJ_NM} </td>
</tr>
<!-- END Row -->
<!-- BEGIN NoRecords -->
<tr>
<td class="FoggyDayDataTD" colspan="2">No records </td>
</tr>
<!-- END NoRecords -->
<tr>
<td class="FoggyDayFooterTD" nowrap colspan="2">
<!-- BEGIN Navigator Navigator -->
<!-- BEGIN First_On --><a class="FoggyDayNavigatorLink" href="{First_URL}">First</a> <!-- END First_On -->
<!-- BEGIN First_Off -->First <!-- END First_Off -->
<!-- BEGIN Prev_On --><a class="FoggyDayNavigatorLink" href="{Prev_URL}">Prev</a> <!-- END Prev_On -->
<!-- BEGIN Prev_Off -->Prev <!-- END Prev_Off -->
<!-- BEGIN Pages -->
<!-- BEGIN Page_On --><a class="FoggyDayNavigatorLink" href="{Page_URL}">{Page_Number}</a> <!-- END Page_On -->
<!-- BEGIN Page_Off -->{Page_Number} <!-- END Page_Off --><!-- END Pages -->of
{Total_Pages}
<!-- BEGIN Next_On --><a class="FoggyDayNavigatorLink" href="{Next_URL}">Next</a> <!-- END Next_On -->
<!-- BEGIN Next_Off -->Next <!-- END Next_Off -->
<!-- BEGIN Last_On --><a class="FoggyDayNavigatorLink" href="{Last_URL}">Last</a> <!-- END Last_On -->
<!-- BEGIN Last_Off -->Last <!-- END Last_Off --><!-- END Navigator Navigator --> </td>
</tr>
</table>
<!-- END Grid TMPRIOR_PRJ --></p>
</body>
</html>

When I Publish/Run Live...here are the messages I get...

Generating "Home"
Generating Common Files
Warning:Unable to find the target version of the .NET framework. The path specified in Options will be used.
Running:
C:\DOCUME~2\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\~Planning\MakeAll.bat C: C:\DOCUME~2\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\~Planning\
=======================================

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop>REM _MakeAll @1-8F641519

C:\DOCUME~2\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\~Planning>C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc /rootnamespace:Planning /t:library /out:bin\Planning.dll /imports:Microsoft.VisualBasic,System,System.Web,System.Xml,System.Data,System.Drawing /r:Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll,System.dll,System.Web.dll,System.Xml.dll,System.Data.dll,System.Drawing.dll /recurse:*.vb
Microsoft (R) Visual Basic .NET Compiler version 7.10.3052.4
for Microsoft (R) .NET Framework version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1987-2002. All rights reserved.

C:\DOCUME~2\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\~Planning>REM _End MakeAll
Output

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop>REM _MakeAll @1-8F641519

C:\DOCUME~2\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\~Planning>C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc /rootnamespace:Planning /t:library /out:bin\Planning.dll /imports:Microsoft.VisualBasic,System,System.Web,System.Xml,System.Data,System.Drawing /r:Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll,System.dll,System.Web.dll,System.Xml.dll,System.Data.dll,System.Drawing.dll /recurse:*.vb

Microsoft (R) Visual Basic .NET Compiler version 7.10.3052.4

for Microsoft (R) .NET Framework version 1.1.4322.573

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1987-2002. All rights reserved.

C:\DOCUME~2\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\~Planning>REM _End MakeAll

=======================================
Build finished
Publishing to "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Planning"

This all seems good to me but I get a completely Blank Page.

Please help.

Thanks.

Howard
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 03/29/2004, 12:31 PM

Hi,
Can you please open this URL in your Web browser:
http://localhost/Planning/NewPage1.aspx
(replace "NewPage1" with the actual page name, if different)
What happens when you open this URL?

Also, have you created the Virtual Directory as described at http://support.codecharge.com/kb_article.asp?article_id=29 ?

Finally, do you maybe have Norton AntiVirus installed and Script Blocking turned on?
hbycer

Posted: 03/29/2004, 1:51 PM

Peter,

I definately looks like the Virtual Directory problem. I understand the problem and the resolution in the Support Article but...

being that ASP.Net is rather new to me, how to access the Virtual Directory Creation Wizard in the Internet Services Manager? Do I need to download the Internet Services Manager from Microsoft's web site or should it have come with the ASP.Net SDK?

Thanks again!!!!
peterr

Posted: 03/29/2004, 9:26 PM

IIS is included with Windows XP Professional, NT & 2000 Server.
Some Windows versions cannot run IIS at all, for example Windows XP Home.
Which version of Windows do you use?
hbycer

Posted: 03/30/2004, 5:26 AM

Exactly what I have!!!! So how do I set the localhost in XP home? There is no reference to "localhost" on the Help section of my pc or mentioned speciffically with Windows XP on Microsost's website.

Microsoft does mention the words 'IIS' or 'Internet Information Service' or 'Internet Service Manager' specifically with with Windows 2000 and Windows NT.

Remember...I am running from a localhost and am not connected to the internet or a network at this time. I just did a ping of the localhost and the reply was '127.0.0.1' This IP adddress resolved to my computer name 'LAPTOP'

Obviously, 'localhost' on my machine must be reset, but on Windows XP Home, there is no Internet Service Manager. What is our alternitive?

We are getting closer. My phone number is 717-302-2357 if you wish.

Thanks once more!!

Howard
hbycer

Posted: 03/30/2004, 7:21 AM

More Info..

I have tried the following...

Set the SERVER PATH to c:\Inetpub\winroot\xxx - where xxx is the project name Set the SERVER URL to C:\Inetpub\winroot\xxx - where xxx is the project name

With these settings I get the following results:

1) Publishing/Live

I no longer get a blank screen. However, I am presented with a screen which shows the contents of the pppp.aspx file which was generated where pppp is the page name. The page name for my project is called 'Home'

Here is the code:

<!--ASPX page @1-FD6B4889-->
<%@ Page language="vb" Codebehind="Home.aspx.vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="TMPlanning.Home.HomePage" %>
<%@ Import namespace="TMPlanning.Home" %>
<%@ Import namespace="TMPlanning.Configuration" %>

<%@Register TagPrefix="CC" Namespace="TMPlanning.Controls" Assembly="TMPlanning"%>
<html>
<head>
<title>NewPage1</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Themes/Mailbox/Style.css">
<script language="JavaScript">
//Begin CCS script
//End CCS script
</script>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#0000ff" alink="#ff0000" class="MailboxPageBODY">
<form runat="server">

<asp:repeater id="qryProjectProfileRepeater" OnItemCommand="qryProjectProfileItemCommand" OnItemDataBound="qryProjectProfileItemDataBound" runat="server">
<HeaderTemplate>
<font class="MailboxFormHeaderFont">List of
Qry Project Profile </font>
<table class="MailboxFormTABLE">
<tr>
<td class="MailboxColumnTD" nowrap>PRJ EPN ID </td>
<td class="MailboxColumnTD" nowrap>PRJ NM </td>
<td class="MailboxColumnTD" nowrap>TMD DS </td>
<td class="MailboxColumnTD" nowrap>PJS CD </td>
<td class="MailboxColumnTD" nowrap>PJS DS </td>
<td class="MailboxColumnTD" nowrap>PRJ PRIORITY </td>
</tr>

</HeaderTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>

<tr>
<td class="MailboxDataTD"><asp:Literal id="qryProjectProfilePRJ_EPN_ID" Text='<%# Server.HtmlEncode(CType(Container.DataItem, qryProjectProfileItem).PRJ_EPN_ID.GetFormattedValue()).Replace(vbCr,"").Replace(vbLf,"<br>") %>' runat="server"/> </td>
<td class="MailboxDataTD"><asp:Literal id="qryProjectProfilePRJ_NM" Text='<%# Server.HtmlEncode(CType(Container.DataItem, qryProjectProfileItem).PRJ_NM.GetFormattedValue()).Replace(vbCr,"").Replace(vbLf,"<br>") %>' runat="server"/> </td>
<td class="MailboxDataTD"><asp:Literal id="qryProjectProfileTMD_DS" Text='<%# Server.HtmlEncode(CType(Container.DataItem, qryProjectProfileItem).TMD_DS.GetFormattedValue()).Replace(vbCr,"").Replace(vbLf,"<br>") %>' runat="server"/> </td>
<td class="MailboxDataTD"><asp:Literal id="qryProjectProfilePJS_CD" Text='<%# Server.HtmlEncode(CType(Container.DataItem, qryProjectProfileItem).PJS_CD.GetFormattedValue()).Replace(vbCr,"").Replace(vbLf,"<br>") %>' runat="server"/> </td>
<td class="MailboxDataTD"><asp:Literal id="qryProjectProfilePJS_DS" Text='<%# Server.HtmlEncode(CType(Container.DataItem, qryProjectProfileItem).PJS_DS.GetFormattedValue()).Replace(vbCr,"").Replace(vbLf,"<br>") %>' runat="server"/> </td>
<td class="MailboxDataTD"><asp:Literal id="qryProjectProfilePRJ_PRIORITY" Text='<%# Server.HtmlEncode(CType(Container.DataItem, qryProjectProfileItem).PRJ_PRIORITY.GetFormattedValue()).Replace(vbCr,"").Replace(vbLf,"<br>") %>' runat="server"/> </td>
</tr>

</ItemTemplate>

<FooterTemplate>

<asp:PlaceHolder id="NoRecords" visible="false" runat="server">
<tr>
<td class="MailboxDataTD" colspan="6">No records </td>
</tr>
</asp:PlaceHolder>

<tr>
<td class="MailboxFooterTD" nowrap colspan="6">

<CC:Navigator id="NavigatorNavigator" runat="server">

<CC:NavigatorItem type="PrevOn" runat="server"><asp:LinkButton id="NavigatorPrev" CssClass="mailboxnavigatorlink" runat="server">Prev</asp:LinkButton></CC:NavigatorItem>
<CC:NavigatorItem type="PrevOff" runat="server">Prev </CC:NavigatorItem> [<%# CType(Container,Navigator).PageNumber.ToString() %>] <CC:NavigatorItem type="NextOn" runat="server"><asp:LinkButton id="NavigatorNext" CssClass="mailboxnavigatorlink" runat="server">Next</asp:LinkButton></CC:NavigatorItem>
<CC:NavigatorItem type="NextOff" runat="server">Next </CC:NavigatorItem>
</CC:Navigator>
  </td>
</tr>
</table>

</FooterTemplate>
</asp:repeater>

</form>
<center><font face="Arial"><small>Generated with CodeCharge Studio</small></font></center>
</body>
</html>
<!--End ASPX page-->

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2) Internet Explorer

When I open Internet Explorer and enter address 'c:\Inetpub\winroot\xxx.aspx where xxx is my project name (see above), I am returned with the Internet Explorer message "The Page Cannot Be Displayed". The page is found but cannot be displayed.

Microsoft's website made reference to mannually setting the value of the Virtual Directory in a file called "metabase.xml". But this was mentioned on the Windows 2000 help area. The metabase.xml file was not found on my Windows XP Home pc.

Thanks once more. I need to resolve this. We are all trying to come up with up with a solution to this localhost thing here at the office. I'm sure you had other XP Home developers who build their applications locally on their pc's prior to publishing to the web. How does CodeCharge Studio Personal work(my gues is this product is directed to the small business/home developer)?

Is there anything we haven't tried? Does CodeCharge Studio run under Windows XP Home?
hbycer

Posted: 03/30/2004, 8:14 AM

Another question...

Must I have IIS installed for XP Home? To my knowledge, it is not installed on my Windows XP machine. There is a procedure for the IIS installation identified om MS's website vis:

1) Add Programs
2) Select Windows Components
3) Checkbox next to IIS

On my Win XP Home machine IIS is not listed as a "Windows Component' to be installed Is this because IIS is not an XP Home component?

I'll keep plugging away..I'll try and work with my folks here and give you as much info as I can.

Thanks
peterr

Posted: 03/30/2004, 1:15 PM

It is not important if you you want to test something locally - you need a Web server.
I also use XP Home on one computer at home but I cannot run or test any Web pages on it. There is a workaround posted at http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020118.htm but it doesn't work for me. I also tried couple other workarounds but it seems that those were specifically disabled by Microsoft from running on XP Home.
There are couple potential solutions though. One is to purchase a Web hosting sevice and publish externally. Another one is to try Web Matrix at http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/ . It comes with a simple .NET Web server that doesn't require IIS, however I haven't tried it with CCS.
hbycer

Posted: 03/30/2004, 1:44 PM

I have Web Matrix. It comes with a "mini" Server. There is no console to set the Virtual Directory. The service is activated only when Web Matrix goes thru its publishing phase. Its server starts/stops running when you open/close the published page.

Check out http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Q_20844896.html. There is a good discussion about Win XP Home and the web server issue. They talk about a free server called Abbyss and ActiveHTML. Abbyss got fine reviews on CNet and it costs $12.

I am on the east coast. I'm 3 hours ahead of you guys. I may try abbyss tonight and let you know by tommorrow. What might you tell your clients.

Our plan is to do our development and testing on our local pc prior to publishing on our corporate intranet. Because of company security reasons, I cannot download and install CodeCharge Studio onto company machines. Therefore, I must use my own pc (the machine with xp home).

Thanks again

Howard

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login