CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Directory Builder

Print topic Send  topic

hbycer

Posted: 04/05/2004, 1:32 PM

Please Help...

I would like to use the Directory Builder for my app but am rather confused as to how set it up. Here is what I would like to do.

On my home page, I would like to have a "categoryl" for each department. Each Department will have a "Projects" subcategory (we will grow)....We have a Projects Table(PRJ) and a Department Table(TMD). Since several departments can work on the same project, we also have the Project/Department table(TPD). The key field for the PRJ table is the Project_ID. The key field for the TMD is the Department_ID. The keys for the TPD are the Department_ID and Project_ID. In this example...how would one set up the Directoy Builder properties? Why?

We would like to add items such as Time Reporting, Document Management and other Departmental Management services as Directory subcatagories as we develop our application.

I just find the doc a bit confusing with respect to the Directory Builder. It looks like the perfect tool for what we would like to do.

Thanks Much

Howard
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 04/06/2004, 2:23 AM

I think that it could be difficult to provide an answer without actually understanding your database, working on your project and testing things out.
Generally when I add a new blank Directory (via Toolbox -> Forms -> Add Directory Form) I can see only 3 key properties: Data Source, Category ID Field and Subcategory ID Field.
Therefore I conclude that all you need is a database table or query that returns both the Category and Subcategory id fields. In your case this may be Departments and Projects (as Projects are sub-items of Departments). It seems that all you need is to create an SQL query (as the Data Source) that includes both Department and Project IDs.
Well, at least this would be the starting point. Once you get the directory to hierarchicaly display your Departments and Projects then you would also need to configure the Links within the Directory. You can look at the Directory usage example in CCS Example Pack.
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login