CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

database connection error

Print topic Send  topic

superthaix

Posted: 04/12/2004, 3:44 PM

Question.

I have just recently installed CC 2.0.7 Trial.
Everything seems to be just fine until I try to use the New Page Wizard Step 2. When I click Record Source I get a Database Connection Error on the bottom left status window. I can see the Table name that I want to work with, which seems to have come from the MySql server because no where locally have I entered that information.

I have installed ODBC 3.51 from the MySQL website and it seems to work fine. When I build the connection and click test connection in the ODBC Data Source Admin, test is succesful.

Settings under Site Properties:
Design--------
Type:DSN
Data Source Name: WebServerMySQL (tested succesful as stated above)

Server---------
Connection Strg Type: Same As Design
checked use custom html encoding
Join style : ANSI SQL( Left...

MySQL is on a local network LAN. MySQL server access test fine from several different GUI Administrator clients remotely.

Another question, does ODBC have to be installed on the remote Mysql server too?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Brent
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 04/12/2004, 8:29 PM

Is "Database Connection Error" the full error message that you see, or are there additional details?

There is no need to install ODBC on the remote MySQL server.
superthaix

Posted: 04/13/2004, 10:43 AM

"Database Connection Error" is the only error messege I see. It appears in the lower left corner of the main CC application window, I guess it could be refered to as a status bar. "Connecting..." is displayed just before "Database Connection Error". Actually I see "Connecting..." displayed as I'm filling in the Properties of the site, but never getting an error at that time.

Thanks
Brent
Marcus

Posted: 04/13/2004, 12:11 PM

superthaix, redefine your network connection string to point exactly to where your DB resides on the production server. This path is most likely not the same as your "design" connection.
superthaix

Posted: 04/13/2004, 1:01 PM

Hi Marcus.
Under the Properties/Database Tab...
I have entered the connection string for Design using Custom, then I do the setup, data link properties and test. Test successful.
Then I copied and pasted the Design string into the Server/Database name. Used the local network IP for the database server.
Added the user and password.
I still get "Database Connection Error" when I try to add a page using the Add Page Wizard. I don't understand why, because I can see and select the table of the database I want to work with.

Do you know if there is a events/error log in CC?

Thanks
Brent
peterr

Posted: 04/13/2004, 2:01 PM

This looks to me like a tech support issue. The support can also tell you if there is a log, or possibly send you some component that will create such log.
Please contact the support directly using the URL below.
Marcus

Posted: 04/14/2004, 7:33 AM

Look at this FAQ titled "Deploying an Access Database to a Remote Server ".
superthaix

Posted: 04/14/2004, 9:51 AM

I have read the FAQ below. It seems like I have done as it stated. I've specified the design connection using ODBC that test succesfull, then I use the same string for the server connection.

It seems like CC can see the database and tables I've specified, but for some reason can't access the columns.
I've double checked the permissions on the MySQL server those look correct.
I was able to use an ODBC tester program, SQLCon, to access and see the Database, tables, columns and rows I need to work with succesfully via ODBC remotely.

?
Brent
peterr

Posted: 04/14/2004, 12:04 PM

This looks like a trial protection issue.
We specifically do not allow users to see the database tables if we detect tampering with the trial protection/expiration.
That's why again I recommend contacting our support. They can analyze your installation in more detail.
Marcus

Posted: 04/14/2004, 1:24 PM

Loks like U may have to buy the "Real Thing ..."
superthaix

Posted: 04/14/2004, 1:34 PM

I just downloaded the trial 2 or 3 days ago.
I do not have a problem purchasing the product, unfortunately the problem I have is not allowing me to even get to "first base" so that I may evaluating CC for our needs.

Brent
peterr

Posted: 04/14/2004, 3:21 PM

Brent,
Our records show that you downloaded CC over 30 days ago , then again 2 days ago (assuming that I'm looking at the right email address).
Is there a reason that you are unwilling to contact our support? If you downloaded CC 2-3 days ago then you should not be concerned with asking our support a technical question rather than ask other users.
The forum is for discussions between users (and I answer in user capacity whenever I can), while if you have technical problem please contact the support directly. They can also advise you about the log file that you asked about.
It's important for us to resolve all technical issues and looking at your forum postings it seems that you'd like to resolve this problem as well, therefore let's work on this.
Additionally, you may want to evaluate CCS (CodeCharge Studio) if you haven't yet. I understand that your questions were related to CC (CodeCharge).
superthaix

Posted: 04/14/2004, 4:20 PM

There must be an error or misunderstanding.

I should have stated the Studio version, my fault.
My email is (removed by Yes) and is what I used to register my Trial copy.

I downloaded CCS on the 12th of this month and on the same day made my post. I thought I had simple problem that may have had a solution on the forum. I hate to bother technical support if the answer is already available on a forum. I guess this is not the case in my situation.

I submitted a question to technical support yesterday. I don't expect a quick reply being that I'm on a trial copy. At the least, I hope that maybe they could just point me in the right direction to help me find the solution to my problem.

Brent
peterr

Posted: 04/14/2004, 11:22 PM

Thanks. I'll follow this through via the support.
superthaix

Posted: 04/15/2004, 9:35 AM

Success at last.

Peterr, I got a clue from your previous posting regarding the version I was using. I thought I had down loading and been using Studio version , but I had been using CC order verion 2.0.7 . I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Studio version and everything works perfect. All the problems are gone. Not sure how I got the older version as I used a link in the trial registration email, oh well.
Within an hour I had generated some code.
I'm fully impressed with the software and works exactly as advertised.
The time savings CCS will provide is astronomical.
We'll be purchasing a product shortly!

Tech support did get back to me and they also questioned which version I had installed. Tech support said I was using out date version. Basically we arrived at the solution nearly the same time.
Thanks for your help, I really appreciated it.
Sincerely
Brent

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login