CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Problems adding label field to grid

Print topic Send  topic

Langston
Posted: 04/20/2004, 10:57 AM

I have done this several times for records and grids I created but for some reason when I try to add a text or label field to and record form or grid form on the book store application, if fails to display the field from the database.

Also for the AdminProducts page I tried to get items listed by Category Name by Product Name and it doesn't work although I set my record selection up that way. I can't find where "Order By' data is being passed.

Has anyone else had this same experience?
Langston
Posted: 04/20/2004, 10:59 AM

Forgot to say: I'm using CCS 2.2.2.40
peterr

Posted: 04/20/2004, 1:00 PM

What are all the properties of the sample fields that don't display any values?

And how did you "set my record selection up that way"?
View profile  Send private message
Langston
Posted: 04/20/2004, 2:00 PM

peterr, let me do this a step at a time.

I took the Book Store applicationand added a text field to the products database and named it "product_size". I changed the name of my database connection to "StoreDB".

I was able to generate and publish with no problem.

I then took AdminProduct and went to the last item on the grid (on the same row as sorters) and I did a right click and selected "Insert Column".

A blank column was addedd just before the last column. I put my cursor in the upper cell and then went to forms and inserted a sorter.
Name: Sorter2
Sort Order: product_size
Visible: Yes

Then then went to lower cell. I wen to forms and added a Label.
Name: product_size
Control Source: Database Column
Control Source: product_size (from dropdown selection)
Data Type: Text
Content: Text

When I do a full generate (F9) and publish and run, both my column header and the new field are blank.

I did the same sort of thing with a record (vs a grid) with the same results, no data displayed. I can even use another field that is being displayed on the form and the field still displays as blank.

--

And how did you "set my record selection up that way"? ...

My Data Source for the AdminProduct grid has "Order BY" set to "category_name, product_name" but product names are still displayed out of order within category.
peterr

Posted: 04/20/2004, 5:58 PM

Hi,
I see couple possibilties. One is that the field type in the database doesn't match the field type selected in CCS. For example numeric/integer in the database but text in CCS (or vice-versa). You already wrote that it is text field in the database and in CCS, but please double-check.
The second possibility is that the scripts (ASP or PHP, etc.) are connecting to a different database than the one selected in CCS for the Design. Please check the "Server" tab in your Database Connection in CCS to make sure that it uses the same database as specified in the "Design". Furthermore, if this is MS Access database please make sure that the new/modified version was copied to your server.
Langston
Posted: 04/21/2004, 9:46 AM

Peter, I did all the checks you suggested. I then created a new Editable Grid/Record page in the same project. This new page displayed all the values from the database. I was even able to add a new column to the grid just like I attempted to do with the AdmProduct page. The additions to the new page worked.

In summary, I suspect htat somehow the template for AdmProduct is corrupt and will not gerenate code for new record field items.
peterr

Posted: 04/21/2004, 12:50 PM

I see. If you still want, you could try one more test: delete your generated program file (ASP or PHP, etc) for the previous non-working page and then regenerate that page again. This would clear most of the possible code corruptions.
Langston
Posted: 04/21/2004, 1:19 PM

Thanks, Peter - that worked!!! I deleted the PHP module and regenerated. You da mannn:-)

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login