CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Text based buttons that link.

Print topic Send  topic

SteveG

Posted: 04/26/2004, 11:33 AM

I have been trying to finesse the art of putting buttons in grids etc. which can link, yet still show text. I think I have done it, without getting too deep into coding, by:

1. Do a Form ->Add link (not a label, or image, or image link; whew) somewhere in the page (think it is works anywhere, but may need to be nested in a grid).

2. Drop the cursor down somewhere inside the text. Do not highlight the whole link, though.

3. Left-click and select Edit - Link Layout from the menu.

4. Check true for Extended HTML. (Do not know if steps 3&4 are necessary, but better safe than sorry.)

5. Set the properties for this new link (and give it a decent name). I like to make the Control Source Type a Code Expression, the Data Type Text, and the Control Source something like [Edit] or whatever you want your button to say. (Use quotes inside the field instead of square brackets). Make sure that you not only set the very important Href Source, but also dive into that Link Parameters area and arrange for a value to be sent for the linking page to refer to (took me days of teeth grinding to figure this stuff out).

6. (Here is the good part, there is probably other ways of doing it, but I like this one.) Select the text inside the Link bookends, then use the Highlighter on the menu to change the background to a nice pretty color of your choice (do not worry, this wont last long).

7. Now, go again and deselect the text, and then right-click back somewhere inside it. You should have a <FONT> Properties option at the bottom. Go ahead and choose it.

8. Again, different ways to do this, but I have built a special style with raised borders and pretty background colors and no decorations etc. to mimic a button, but you can do whatever you like to make it look cool. Here is what mine looks like:
.AaahFauxButton
{
font-size: 13px;
text-decoration: none;
background-color: #FFFFE0;
border-top-style: outset;
border-right-style: outset;
border-bottom-style: ridge;
border-left-style: ridge;
border-top-width: 1px;
border-right-width: 1px;
border-bottom-width: 1px;
border-left-width: 1px;
padding-top: 1px;
padding-right: 3px;
padding-bottom: 1px;
padding-left: 3px;
}

9. Now take a look at your html, it is a good time to remove the Background Color, if you want; and you should have something like this in it:
<!-- BEGIN Link View_Record --><a class="AaahDataLink" href="{View_Record_Src}"><font class="AaahFauxButton">{View_Record}</font></a><!-- END Link View_Record -->

.. and that should do it. Let me know how it works for you. Good luck.

8-) Steve
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login