CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Publishing with Front Page

Print topic Send  topic

JRB

Posted: 04/26/2004, 2:01 PM

I have tried about every trick I know and cannot get my files uploaded to our web server. After giving up I searched the FAQ for "Front Page" and found nothing.

The only upload help I can find mentioned FTP, but most servers I have dealt with running Front Page have FTP disabled. What am I missing?

We are using Studio 2.2 in trial mode, writing ASP app and trying to upload to an IIS5 server via FP 2002.

View profile  Send private message
GaryDN

Posted: 04/26/2004, 2:41 PM

What I have done is publish the project to a local directory on your computer. Then copy the folder contents or folder to the frontpage project folder. Open frontpage and publish it.

Should work fine. I have done it this way many times.

peterr

Posted: 04/26/2004, 3:19 PM

JRB,
Actually, I'm curious about why a hosting company would disable the FTP access. Assuming that they support FrontPage, what if someone doesn't use FrontPage? I'm just curious about this and would like to check their Website for any information on how they deal with file uploads. I'd appreciate the URL of such Web hosting company.
Thanks.

JRB

Posted: 04/27/2004, 6:51 AM

Quote peterr:
I'd appreciate the URL of such Web hosting company.
I tried using FTP last night to our server and it didn't play.

My information could be old- I haven't tried using FTP for so long. My understanding is it screws around with the FP permissions. There is also an issue with unicode text files slamming the server if they are FTP'd but Front Page makes them friendly.

www.tulsaconnect.com
www.vigoris.net

peterr

Posted: 04/27/2004, 12:45 PM

Hi,

I see that Tulsa Connect supports FTP, based on:
http://www.tulsaconnect.com/business/hosting/index.asp
It might be good to ask them to help with this issue since they should be obligated to support FTP if they say so.
I wasn't aware of FTP affecting FrontPage permissions. I think that FTP just allows access to specific folders on the drive and copying the files there, although surely the admins would need to setup different permissions for different users. But the unicode issue sounds interesting and indeed may not be handled correctly. Are you actually using unicode files?
Generally I would just try the FTP and see if it really causes any damage. Since they offer it then at least it should be worth a try. FTP is actually quite standard and there is not even any other way to get to many servers. I wouldn't give up just because it might not work :-)
JRB

Posted: 04/27/2004, 1:00 PM

That is not a Front Page server.

I have attempted a few more times and FTP will not allow me in. I ended up importing the files then manually modifying the connection string. I have made it to first base, but still don't understand the idea behind the Front page plugin. It doesn't appear to actually do anything. It seems like it's just a few menu items.

Once again- I must be missing something.

peterr

Posted: 04/27/2004, 3:31 PM

But what exact error messages are you getting when using FTP? What happens?

Regarding the FrontPage plug-in, every software is made of Menus ( even this Web browser) and a display or editing area. In the same way we put all CCS functionality inside FrontPage, as the set of menus. Actually the only way to do this is to place CCS menus in there (plus some toolbars or panels). There are also certain assumptions made in such integration and theerfore the name "Add-In" or "Plug-In".
The only objective of CCS Add-In for FrontPage is to allow you to utilize the standard FrontPage features for editing the HTML. Therefore generally all FrontPage features must be available for editing the page, but such functions as opening and saving projects should be done via CCS menus. I believe that the publishing should also be done via CCS publishing option, however as Gary posted above there may be other, Front-page specific publishing methods as well.
I generally would try to focus on using FrontPage only to modify the page layout, which is its main function. The FrontPage extensions allow for very basic and simplified method of what CCS does, which means that if you use CCS you should not need to use the extensions. The FrontPage file-saving and publishing features are also somewhat outside or rather in addition to the core FrontPage functionality, which is editing the HTML. CCS basically allows you to modify the HTML easier by allowing the use of FrontPage for layout editing.

I actually would recommend that you use CCS without FrontPage first and once you get familiar with how to use it (and publish) then go one level higher and use FrontPage for layout editing. Otherwise if something doesn't work it won't be even clear if it's part of CCS functionality or FrontPage functionality that's causing problems or confusion.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login