CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Page Templates for Project

Print topic Send  topic

Mike Mahon
Posted: 05/01/2004, 1:50 PM

I want to change the page template an entire project will use. Currently it is using the default template. The majority of the pages are already created. I want to go to a top-left template where the pages with have a table cell across the top, a menu down the side and a footer at the bottom. I am assuming I would just edit the Paths option to point to the template file? If I do this will it change the entire site with the pages that are already created? If it doesnt what are the steps to take to change what template the pages inheirit? This doesn't seem like too much to ask. And I think this is a valuable enhancement if CodeCharge doesn't already allow it.

Thanks,

Mike Mahon
franklin
Posted: 06/07/2004, 4:14 PM

:-X
I have been mess-in with templates for 2 days now trying to get codecharge to reGenerate pages after a template is changed, to no avail. What is the purpose of having templates if when you make a change to a template it does not reflect in the generated pages.
Seems this product is a bit brain dead.
fet
peterr

Posted: 06/07/2004, 4:21 PM

I would argue that the product is just fine because we don't see such complaints from thousands of other users :-)
If you simply delete your generated code (usually Page.php or Page.asp file) then the code will be regenerated without problems. Otherwise contacting our support should get you back on track.
View profile  Send private message
franklin
Posted: 06/07/2004, 5:00 PM

:-< I did as you said, deleted the xxx.php page. Do not change the page to match the template.
As a side thought -- If I have 50 pages of php code are you saying to me that I have to go through my directory and manually delete 50 pages. WOW! Thats a task.
peterr

Posted: 06/07/2004, 5:12 PM

Well, almost no one has to do this, therefore there is some specific reason that your pages stopped generating. I suspect something but without speculating it would be better if you contacted our support and provided one sample page to look at. That way we could tell you exactly what's wrong.
Usually this happens if users modified the generated code instead of using events. Modifying the generated code is OK as long as you're aware that it will lock the modified sections of the code and they will not be re-generated. But then again I can't be sure that this is what happened and via support we could analyze this problem in more detail.
franklin
Posted: 06/07/2004, 6:25 PM

thank you - I will contact support. You did good.
franklin
Anothersledhead

Posted: 06/08/2004, 12:05 PM

I have been there. Changing page layout on table based pages sucks. Try exploring CSS layouts. Then all you need to change is the style sheet. The following page has good examples of CSS based sites all of information is the same they just change the CSS. http://csszengarden.com Other benefits to a CSS based site is that you can have users pick their site layout style or even set a cookie so if someone have already visited your site a diffrent layout is displayed. Due to the reduced html code CSS based sites are supposed to load faster also. There are issues with browser compatibility and the need for funky work arounds however. I don't know all of the answers to CSS layout but I am spending the time to learn.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login