CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Web form design considerations

Print topic Send  topic

lesleyag

Posted: 06/07/2004, 2:19 AM

I am building an application, whereby the users, will use a series of forms to enter data into the back-end SQL Server database. I have a number of tables, that I guess you could say they are maintenance tables, so will probably be used rarely, once the initial data has been entered.

My question is, for smaller forms, e.g. RegionID and Region where the RegionID is an autoincrementing field, therefore the user only sees the Region field, is it wise to have more than one of these forms on the same page. I like the idea of having the grid with the current records displayed and the record entry form for adding / editing records. I have been experimenting with having four of these smaller forms on a page, laid out in 4 squares but am wondering on the practicality of it. The database has about 20 tables in it, so I was just trying to get the most logical approach.

Does anyone know of any good sites, which demonstrates a number of entry forms, for the same application

Cheers
Lesley
View profile  Send private message
ghtracey

Posted: 06/07/2004, 3:03 PM

I have a records administration site on which I have two search fields, a results grid an editable record and an editable grid all on the same page. Various components become available dependin on the URL parameters, but there are generally multiple ones visible. I have experienced no problems with this.

In effect, only the form that you actually submit has any effect. The contents of the other page forms are ignored (unless, of course, you reference them yourself in the code).
lesleyag

Posted: 06/07/2004, 3:16 PM

Do you have an example of where this form is running? I would be extremely grateful as I am sort of stuck on designing the first set of pages. I know once I get over this hurdle I will be on my way.

Thanking you

Lesley
View profile  Send private message
ghtracey

Posted: 06/07/2004, 4:25 PM

Its fairly straightforward. I used the grid builder to create the grids I wanted with which parameters would control them. Then I used the page before show event (search the help for hiding) to check for these parameters and hide the grids I didn't want shown.

I can't give a link, since its an intranet site, sorry, but I can explain what I mean with an example. My app is for cataloging boxes of old paper records.

I have a page for addin/editing boxes. At the top is the standard search for for me to choose which box I want to edit. Below that is a table with two cells, one is a grid of boxes (either all or matching the search as normal) the second is a record to edit the fields for the selected box. This is a standard wizard type thing (search/grid/record). The only change is that I moved the Record into a table. Below all this, I have an editable grid for editing records from an items table that are linked to the boxID. The same parameter that I use to link the Record, I use to link the query for the editable grid. If this parameter does not exist, I set the editable grid visibility to false.

If the Record is changed, when you submit it, changes made to the editable grid are ignored, and vice versa.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login