CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

how to publish a web site

Print topic Send  topic

stef
Posted: 07/06/2004, 9:41 AM

hi everybody! i'm developing a web site using asp scripts. i'm testing my site locally, on my computer, in the inetpub/wwwroot folder. edverything's working fine and i can see the good results of my work! just one question: how can i publish my site on a web server which supports asp? i've created my db in microsoft access. i'm using the file global.asa for the entire application so that i don't have to write in eack page of my website the connection at my db file. does the global.asa file works on the web, on the server machine? thanx.
dataobjx

Posted: 07/08/2004, 12:59 PM

A couple of things...

To get on the internet you first need to register a .com, .net, .biz or whatever. www.internic.com or any of the other domain handlers will work fine.

Secondly, you need to get on the internet and find a "Host". There are a billion of them. You need to make sure they offer .asp capability and SQL Server capability is a good one to have as well... At which time they'll provide you with your login, password and ftp connection details.

Then you'd need to download a decent ftp program like SmartFTP (www.smartftp.com) and in the account options type in the ftp connection details given to you by the host.

And finally, it's not a good idea to place connection string values into the global.asa file as it could allow an attacker to breach your connection string and thus your databases security.

stef
Posted: 07/09/2004, 7:18 AM

>To get on the internet you first need to register a .com, .net, .biz or >whatever. www.internic.com or any of the other domain handlers will >work fine.

>Secondly, you need to get on the internet and find a "Host". There are a >billion of them. You need to make sure they offer .asp capability and >SQL Server capability is a good one to have as well... At which time >they'll provide you with your login, password and ftp connection details.

>Then you'd need to download a decent ftp program like SmartFTP (www.smartftp.com) and in the account options type in the ftp >connection details given to you by the host.

DONE!

And finally, it's not a good idea to place connection string values into the global.asa file as it could allow an attacker to breach your connection string and thus your databases security.

OK I'LL CHANGE THAT!

BUT MY QUESTION WAS: CAN I PUBLISH MY WEB SITE WITH A DB MADE WITH MICROSOFT ACCESS ON A SERVER WHICH ACCEPTS MYSQL DB? AND CAN I PUBLISH A WEB SITE MADE WITH ASP 3.0 EVEN IF THE 'HOST' ACCEPTS ASP.NET? ARE THE NEW VERSIONS COMPATIBLE WITH THE OLD ONES? THANX.
dataobjx

Posted: 07/12/2004, 7:38 PM

OK.

CAN I PUBLISH MY WEB SITE WITH A DB MADE WITH MICROSOFT ACCESS ON A SERVER WHICH ACCEPTS MYSQL DB?

If the server is running MS Server 4.0/2000/200# then the answer is yes.

CAN I PUBLISH A WEB SITE MADE WITH ASP 3.0 EVEN IF THE 'HOST' ACCEPTS ASP.NET
Yes, it's backward compatible.

Do you have a hosting service right now?

If you don't, my advice would be to call the hosting service and ask them the same questions before you sign up with them.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login