CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

Dynamic Properties

Print topic Send  topic

Cass

Posted: 01/13/2005, 3:58 AM

Hi again,

Back to my favourite subject. I was just trying to think of a way to elegantly implement things so that as well as being able to write small scripts that are tagged-in using a 'before show' event, we would instead be able to actually specify the input to certain parameters for components and objects at the properties panel. We have talled about this before in a round about way Peter, but thought I would be somewhat more concise with my thoughts here...

So basically, the mod to a future CCS version might be such that, as an input to 'every' or 'most of' the properties (such as the Href for a link) set for any object, some kind of dropdown/selection-box that could be used to specify any one of the following as the input:-

1) A literal value
2) A user-defined, session, cookie or application variable
3) An expression
4) An event routine
5) A system action
6) A database field or SQL query
7) Short piece of a code snippet

Now , this is not so different from what we have, in that we can use the before show event to actually change 'any' parameter for any object. However, while we can still allow that with option 4) above, I'm thinking that by having the properties within the property inspector itself show meaningful values gives some extra advantages:-

a) Allows more readily to see (without having to look through code) what the dynamic source data of a property going to be
b) Means that in many cases, instead of 'overriding' a prevoiusly set value using the 'before show' event, the value will be set directly, and only once, not overriding a previously set value

This could be extended to allow teh ability to set even HTML parameters contained in template files perhaps...

CCS's current method of using the before show event is a smart way of doing things for sure, ultimately covering all bases, but I guess I am just thinking of an alternate mechanism to give those properties a more dynamic feel.

Just an idea... Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Cass.
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login