CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

CCS Developer Magazine Announcement

Print topic Send  topic

dataobjx

Posted: 02/16/2005, 6:22 AM

DataObjx has a long overdue announcement to make regarding CCS Developer Magazine.

Although we produced and published (with the assistance of various author/devlopers within the CCS Community, 4 issues of CCS Developer Magazine, the return was far less than what was anticipated and as a result we lost funding for the project in December. Subsequent attempts to acquire funding during late December and through January failed to produce results.

This factor, combined with the need to regain losses that were incurred as a result of producing the magazine and the infrastructure to distribute the magazine, DataObjx had to return to application development projects to stay alive and this limits our ability to continue producing CCS Developer Magazine in the fashion initially adopted.

After the initial sales of issue #2 were reviewed, DataObjx immediately removed the "Full Year Subscription" option from the purchase links. We were concerned that if the sales did not increase that we would have to hold too much in escrow in the event of refunds should the enterprise fail to - at minimum - break even. Fortunately, we were able to remove the "Full Year Subscription" before too many developers were able to select the option - thus limiting future administrative issues.

DataObjx is gratefull for the support these subscribers gave and of course will honor all requests for refunds relating to full year subscriptions.

Those of you who have a full year subscription therefore have two (2) options;

1) Send an email to administrator@dataobjx.net and request a refund for the issues that you did not receive. OR
2) Show your support for this community effort and continue to receive the remainder of your 12 issues as they are released under the guidelines proposed below. Your funds will remain in escrow awaiting the release of future issues.

DataObjx like many web-sites need to respond to the challenges of the market-place. Therefore we considered various means to keep the magazine afloat. We realize that this is a tremendous resource for the CCS Development community an so in an effort to continue producing CCS Developer Magazine DataObjx is proposing the following changes.

DataObjx proposes to make CCS Developer Magazine an entirely community driven magazine and will also provide CCS developers with the ability to set up and sell their larger articles and or applications on the CCS Marketplace. This will create at minimum two (2) opportunities for CCS Developers to earn money for their efforts. E.g., providing solutions to be published in CCS Developer Magazine or selling solutions/applications on the CCS Marketplace.

We hope that by doing this and making CCS Developer Magazine a true community driven magazine that not only will CCS Developer Magazine continue to provide the community with the solutions sought, but will be a better magazine containing increasingly relevent content.

DataObjx will continue assembling and distributing (since the infrastructure is already built) CCS Developer Magazine with articles provided by CCS Developers in the same fashion as before. However, the content of CCS Developer Magazine will need to come from you - the developers within the CCS Community.

We propose that the proceeds resulting from the sale of the issues will be divided up evenly between the authors and DataObjx in the fashion indicated below;

CCS Developer Magazine generally has four (4) articles per issue.
The income resulting from the net sales of the issue will be divided 5 ways with 1/5 going to each author and 1/5 going to DataObjx to defray the costs associated with the assembly of the magazine, etc.

Proceeds resulting from the sale of "Code Solutions" sold on the CCS Marketplace will be remitted to the developer, less any PayPal fees, taxes where applicable and a 3% administration fee.

As the developer/author, you will need to decide which avenue of sales suits you better. Placing your code in CCS Developer Magazine or selling it on the CCS Marketplace.

For instance, if you consider that the amount of work that you put into your solution is such that you'd prefer to sell the solution on the CCS Marketplace, you will have that option as well.

Since sales of earlier issues continue well into the future (as new Developers purchase CCS, etc) developer/authors will continue to receive renumeration for months after the issue goes on sale.

So, it'll be a tough decision - whether to publish your article in CCS Developer Magazine or to sell it on the CCS Marketplace.

Therefore, as of issue 5, those developer/authors who have or will contribute an article will be paid accordingly!

Again, these are proposals and DataObjx reserves the right to modify these as the community responds.

We trust that the community will step forward because what we're proposing is truely a community effort!

Should you have any questions, please send an email to administrator@dataobjx.net and we'll be happy to respond to your enquiry.

If you have a "Code Solution" that you think you'd like to sell in CCS Developer Magazine or on the CCS Marketplace, send us an email and we'll get things set up for you. And it is especially important to remember that the CCS Marketplace is fully functional and sales continue to go through to this day.. so you could - in theory - have your product listed and on sale (making money) within days of contacting us.

If you have or will have an article to publish - let us know so we can get it into Issue 5 or in subsequent issues.

As you can see from the proposed breakdown of the net proceeds from sales, that this does NOT represent a revenue stream for DataObjx.

DataObjx will continue to produce the sophisticated applications required by our clients as we have in the past and we will continue to provide avenues of opportunity for CCS Developers to earn money with the skills they've acquired by continuing to assemble and distribute CCS Developer Magazine and by providing you with the ability to get your products/code solutions onto the CCS Marketplace.

In closing, though many of you will express disappointment, you should rather view this as an opportunity because as a true community effort, we believe that CCS Developer Magazine and the community will ultimately benefit in more ways that we can currently otherwise provide. In addition, it provides a vehicle for producing income for those of you who want to earn money using the skills you've acquired.
Georg
Posted: 02/21/2005, 10:00 AM

What a pitty,

Hope it will take off again. It certainly was trying to fill a big void and would have been great if it was developed further.

Strange that the CCS community did not support it judging from all the support requests in these forums.

Go well.
wzuend

Posted: 02/21/2005, 10:30 AM

I agree, its a pitty, i liked the magazin very much.

all the best for Dataobjx.
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 02/21/2005, 11:07 AM

I also think that this is a loss for everyone. I will put a request to my company to see if we could promote this magazine to CCS users.
dataobjx

Posted: 02/21/2005, 12:00 PM

Given the investment made to create the infrastructure, not to mention all of the work we put into this, we too want to see the magazine continue!

Perhaps community members are - or are not - in agreement with the payment method proposed above.

Since this is now a community magazine, perhaps you might like to give us other suggestions.

The community needs to understand that CCS Developer Magazine is now wriiten by the community (for profit) and produced by DataObjx.Net

Take ownership and take advantage of an opportunity that did not exist before!

Please let us know if you are intending to produce an article for the magazine and if so, for which month.

Support YOUR COMMUNITY MAGAZINE by producing an article for publication - write us now and tell us your idea and - start writing!!!!
dataobjx

Posted: 02/21/2005, 12:26 PM

We need two (2) more articles to complete the next issue. Send an email to administrator@dataobjx.net and advise us of your article for the next issue of CCS Developer Magazine!
Oper

Posted: 02/25/2005, 1:21 PM

wow :(

its a pain but this is how this market work..............

In our forum http://www.globaldevelop.com we recive like 2 or 3 subscriber a week and like 100 Download Diary + around 50 Menu Flash Generation for CCS and you know how many people post daily like 1 or 2. (No even a HI thread)

"Its not the Money" its not the time its just lazyness......

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
cobom

Posted: 03/02/2005, 3:22 AM

That is bad news, hopefully as more users try CCS it will breath life back into the magazine.

I am sure there are many 'developers' like myself who code part time, mainly for fun, but many times to produce a useful app that the company is asking for. Unfortunately there are only so many hours in the day....

The magazine was useful and I hope to see it develop in a positive direction.

Will program for a Sea Ray 680 SS ;}
mamboBROWN

Posted: 03/02/2005, 4:56 AM

The magazine is not dead yet...

This is an opportunity for anyone to get involved and contribute your ideas. You will be surprised at how many other programmers out there are trying to solve the same problems that you have already solved.

I have written two articles for the magazine and the responses have been very positive (I have even got to see a version of the code in action on a users site). I would have never considered myself a writer but this opportunity has opened my eyes and I am actually enjoy it.

What the magazine needs is people who aren't afraid to share some of their ideas with the community. The opportunities are enormous!!!! Not to mention the exposure you get and the fact that you get to communicate with users from all over the world. I am surprised that everyone is not jumping at the opportunity. Hopefully this will change soon :-) .
peterr

Posted: 03/03/2005, 2:24 PM

Hey dataobjx,
Looks like a link to CCS Development Magazines is now shown to all users who download CCS after filling out the form at http://www.yessoftware.com/download/download_form.php?product_id=1. It is also included in the emails sent after downloading CCS. I hope this will have some positive impact on the mag.
NewAttitude
Posted: 03/04/2005, 12:39 PM

CCS Magazine is UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME - I purchased all the ones they have so far and HOPE that everyone gets on board to help support this work that is truly deserving! I wish I was 'more' talented - I would GLADLY provide inupt - However - I am afraid I am just not as gifted as the rest of you 'developers' out there. I usually need input from others to complete my work and I am a 'dba' historically and new to the 'developer' thing!

I would GLADLY pay a higher fee for this wonderful resource.

If there is anything I can do to help 'HOLLAR"

Susan Justice
dataobjx

Posted: 03/04/2005, 7:34 PM

We cannot tell you how pleased we are to see your support for CCS Developer Magazine and extend our gratitude to YesSoftware for assisting in the promotion of the magazine.

We have received numerous request relating to 'what to write about?' which can be more difficult to decide upon than it is to write the article itself!

CCS Developer Magazine ran a survey located at:
http://www.dataobjx.net/surveys/default.asp?surveyid=1

This may assist you in deciding what to write about, but if you have an idea for an article on a topic not listed there - don't hesitate to come forward with your idea.

I'd also like to remind/impress on those of you who are building applications that you should consider building an application to place for sale on the CCS Marketplace.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to invite all who are interested to visit http://dmpro.dataobjx.net to have a look at the advanced and evolving version of our Document Management System. Feel free to login using the userid/password of "guest/guest"... and we encourage you to ask any questions you may have by writing to administrator@dataobjx.net

In closing, we have 2 articles ready for publication and are looking for two more so we can get another issue out there... so please take a moment to review the potential articles at the link indicated above but remember that if you have something that personally appeals to you - you should consider writing an article about your idea.

Don't wait for someone else to take the initiative and write an article - they're waiting for you!
Oper

Posted: 03/08/2005, 5:01 AM

dataobjx,

Any Kind of article? I may try to create simple one montly.
where could i send you the Aritcle Title (so you could check if good for you?)

We should try to keep the magazine alive.
(In Fact i will subscribe this weekend)

Dataobjx, you should try to contact Yessoftware for some hand too.

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
dataobjx

Posted: 03/10/2005, 5:43 AM

It's difficult to know what type of article to write about.

I remember a conversation I had with a customer who wanted to purchase issue 3 and noticing that they hadn't purchased the prior issues - asked them why they hadn't purchased the previous issues - since we were curious to know if there was some factor that would be mentioned that would provide us with a better understanding of how to get the magazine sales going.

The reply was that - 'There was nothing in the previous issues that they were interested in'.

I was disappointed by the reply - but it was a fair comment.

My disappointment stemmed from the fact that the articles often showed techniques that were applicable to many applications - even if the program in the article was not something one would necessarily build.

To my mind, the article could be about some ficticious widget - it's the techniques that are important - not necessarily the program itself.

The idea is that you're working on a project at work - or whatever - and after reading and learning the techniques from an article - one might see how such a technique would be beneficial to your 'work application'.

Somehow, this wasn't how others viewed things though.

Anyway, fair enough. So I asked - what kind of articles would you be interested in.. after all, there's no sense in producing a magazine if the content is not what people want. It takes just as much time to write an article of interest as it does to produce one that doesn't!

The customer said - well, I can't think of anything now but, when I do, I'll shoot you an email.

We never heard from them about a proposed article.

We've continually asked - but people just won't say. So, it's kind of a 'guessing game'... and therefore we cannot actually provide an answer as to 'what to write about'!

However, for those of you who do want to produce an article for the magazine, here's what we need from you.

1) A Word document containing the content of the article, and
2) A zip file containing the project and code that the article is about.
3) Send the word document and code - zipped to administrator@dataobjx.net.

That's it! After receiving your article & code, we'll put the content into the magazine's three column layout, etc. and publish it accordingly.
GeorgeS

Posted: 03/11/2005, 10:25 AM

Hi DataObjx,

as many others I also went to your website to check out the 1st free issue of your magazine.
My first impression was positive however after 15 minuts of reading and trying to follow the directions from one article on building LookUp component I found out that it would be much easier to copy the content of this scattered article to Word, format it and use it instead of your PDF.

I'm not sure what is the reason for mixing up content of everything that you have on each page using different layouts?
What about bookmarks and links to the articles from the main menu?

Since your magazine contains a lot of Step-by-step tutorials it would be logical to have uninterrupted flow of information with a very clean navigation.

Anyway, after following that tutorial I finally got the result - seven lines of generic code.
Although it was satisfying to see that it worked I've decided that my current method - free utility "SpeedTyping" is much easier & faster to use for the same purpose and I'd better invest time in learning how to build REAL CCS wizards & components using CCS's SDK docs.

I'm sorry for being too negative.
Hopefully, my point of view may help you with future publications.

All the best,

Posted: 03/15/2005, 7:41 AM

You're not being too negative - just honest.

We admit that issue 1 of CCS Developer Magazine was - well - rough.

As we created each additional issue however, the style, format and so forth got better... I suppose that's true of anything and it's also true for the magazine.

On another note;

We haven't had any responses to the request for additional articles from the CCS Developer community. So we're not sure how much longer we'll keep the site displaying CCS Developer Magazine as a primary focus.

We will however continue to sell the back issues - unless the situation improves and we start to get articles from CCS Developers.

Nevertheless, DataObjx will continue to provide application development and consulting as we've done for years and will continue to assist CCS Developers as well as non-CCS Developers and development accordingly.

Therefore, should you need assistance with a project, do not hesitate to contact DataObjx.

Also, if you get a chance, we've released the new version of Document Manager Pro (Version 2.x) which now sports a nice interface and enhanced features.

We look forward to hearing from you and hope that you will consider producing an article for CCS Developer Magazine.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login