CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

New Version

Print topic Send  topic

old faithfull
Posted: 03/17/2005, 3:07 PM

Why Yes is taking so long to realease a new version of this software, between CCS1 (April 24, 2002) and CCS2 (March 25, 2003) was only 11 months...there are plenty new features they can include, more of them in a "Report System", or may be a "Export to PDF" ... a more versatile grid, (grouping, sub-totals, checkboxes to delete/send-email/export, etc) or more functional "examples" , user tracking system, log counter/reporter, things enterprices are asking today.

These can be done with open source or free apps, as they did with tigra... or at least let us develop plug ins, so we can expand the comunity, and develop such things.

I think Yes have to take care of the details, CCS is sell as a "Code Less" development enviroment... I feel its moving to a "Do less" development envioment.

Only then CCS will enter in the DreamWeaver arena.

This is a great app, but be stock to a company developing cycle...?, its not fit in my "programming path"
peterr

Posted: 03/17/2005, 3:38 PM

Honestly, is seems to me that you're trying to embed your own wishes into a complaint and claim that enterprises are asking for those things today. This is not only arguable, but also not relevant because we have the list of CCS users' wishes and we know exactly how many percent of users asked for what.
If you like to submit a wish, please feel free to do so here in this forum, or to our support. Just please try not to force your wishes onto everyone else because this actually could take time away from implementing those features that most people need. Let everyone decide what they like to see in the product.

If you like to ask the company a question you're also welcome to do so: http://www.yessoftware.com/company/contact_us.php

I'd only say that possibly users asked for those more complex features that take more time to develop? :-) Because I know how busy we are and constantly working on new features.

It also may be unfair to ask for more frequent updates but not counting the release of version 2.3 in your conclusions. In such case even if we released version 2.4 and 2.5 with all the features that you listed, you could still ask the same question - why they are no new releases. Should we just rename version 2.3 to 3.0 and never release minor updates? :-)
View profile  Send private message
old faithfull
Posted: 03/18/2005, 8:48 AM

Sorry if I disturb you with my complain.... really

But I was expecting some thing like- this topics are included in our new mayor release - or - we´re planning a release for the next "n" months....

I use CCS because I have good knowledge of php, but none in asp. But even when I work with asp in CCS, there's a learning curve to break-out.

I insist,.. you have a great product here, but.. and you know it, it getting "old", and the minor realeases you distribute, are that.. minor releases or bug fixes. I worked with a company that bought CCS almost 2 years ago, and it works fine, now I have a new job, and recomended the software, but the team found "lacks" (so they called them) and are argueing about buying the software.

Again, sorry if I disturb you with my complain.
Benjamin Krajmalnik
Posted: 04/18/2005, 3:16 PM

Hello Old Faithful,

Before deciding on purchasing Codecharge I looked at all of the other
available produtcs.
I own dreamweaver, and even with the Phakt add-ons I find the paradigm used
in Codecharge superior.
I have developed 3 fromt ends to a commercial CRM package without any
problems, offering many more features than any of the competing products,
and in a dev cycle which was 1/10th the time.

Is CCS perfect? Absolutely not, bit it is an excellent platform.
This application is developed in ASP. Before writing it (I started a few
months ago) I had never written even one line of vbScript. Whenever I hit
an impasse in the Codecharge classes I went in and extended them.

Their support has been great.
I use it to evelop in asp/php and .net.
No complaints from here. The features which have been mentioned for V3 are
some of the ones which I found missing ond for which I have had to do more
coding than I would have liked - but that is the difference between
professional programmers and dabblers.

I look at Codecharge as a toolkit. Whenever it does not handle something
the way I want it to, I modify it.
My common file has many extensions, as does my classes file.
My javascript file has many additional functions, which workin conjunction
with mods on the asp code to allow me to have true internationalization.

All you need is a bit of creativity and the sky is pretty much the limit!

Vasiliy
Posted: 04/23/2005, 7:22 PM

Quote :
... we have the list of CCS users' wishes and we know exactly how many percent of users asked for what.

Piter, with my respect I disagree. Priorities, measured by percent of User's wishes can push you to develop tons of features and later your company will sink in these features support. It's dangerous.
Instead, I'd improve current templates frame, add some necessary (missing) embed points and give CCS community a well documented template language to develop their own add-ons. I'm talking about improving the template-driven code generation.
This suggestion may have the lowest percent rate, and not many developers will make this suggestion, but it can tremendously improve the product.

Personal background.
I'm a win32 DBMS developer. Since 1991 for Win32 apps I mostly use Clarion language (and still developing at work on Clarion). I love the flexibility and power of template-driven code generation solution. While Clarion community shares tons of template add-ons, the company concentrate on IDE and basic templates improvement.

Recently (last year) I choose CCS as a RAD tool for web-development. Before I was trying different web-development tools for years, and almost stick with DW Ultradev/MX, but CCS is the best (IMO).

CCS evolution clearly shows me demand on CCS expandability (see Benjamin Krajmalnik's message). Powerful, well documented template language and base templates set can bring to CCS community tons of new commercial and free addons/features w/o involving YesSoftware.

Vasiliy.
Benjamin Krajmalnik
Posted: 04/25/2005, 8:46 PM

Ha!

Looks like we use the same languages :)
I've been using Clarion since Clarion for DOS 1.0.
My web apps actually include an installer using LinderSoft's SetupBuilder,
and a Windows GUI (written in Clarion) for creating all of the files. The
files generated through CodeCharge are further templatized by me and stored
in blobs. Based on the features the customers buy, I generate the web
files, replacing tokens with the values they selected from the GUI.

I also would like to see more embeds, especially at earlier stages in the
code tree (such as an AfterExecute embed where you still have the dataset
open so you can check for error conditions).

All in all, I think CodeCharge is awesome. It does not have the embed
flexibility of Clarion with the priorities, but it is still quite usable.

I would like to be able to overide the classes/functions via embeds within
them (even at the very end) so that I don't have to clobber the generated
code. For example, that way I can latch my own custom functionality to the
login function - whether replacing it altogether by issuing my own calls or
extending with additional calls. Under this scenario, the sky would pretty
much be the limit.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login