CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Last Insert ID or Parent child records

Print topic Send  topic

Kevin
Posted: 05/12/2005, 2:10 PM

I have been looking for a means to find the last ID inserted for a table and posted a support request informing support that I had found a simple way to run mysql_insert_id() - Support posted this back:

"We are using the Max(pk) as a SELECT statement to obtain the last inserted record. Please use this method as well.

CCDLookUp("MAX(ID)","table_name","where_condition",$DBConnection_name);"
---------------- I replied with ----------------------------------------------------
Using the group function MAX is invalid and a VERY poor method to provide as a means to fix your missing function. The mysql_insert_id() function retrieves the last ID used for an insert call, this is the ONLY means to get the LAST ID for that session/connection reliably. The MAX method only works if you're the only one inserting records into the table, that isn't how a web site works. I have urged you to look into providing the correct means to retrieve that LAST ID, in Common.php you have DB = "MySQL" so you can tell they type of DB in use so a CASE statement after an IF that tests for an insert would provide a LAST ID for the DB object for ALL databases, please look into this method for a future release as using MAX is not valid for a site with more then one user.
peterr

Posted: 05/12/2005, 2:24 PM

Kevin,
This is only a simple, universal method that works with all databases. It is not reliable and the comments in our examples are specific about it:
     //Retrieve the last inserted key  
     //Use a method compatible with all databases (unsafe when multiple users insert records at the same time)  
     $GetLastInsKey = CCDLookup("max(emp_id)", "employees", "", $DBIntranetDB);  
You will need to refer to your own database's documentation to find the best method that works with it.
As it is not a CCS feature, the support doesn't support it and probably provided you with the above sample code, and you may need to find a programmer to help you with this, or read your database documentation.
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 05/12/2005, 2:42 PM

BTW, you're welcome to post feature suggestions to the Wishes forum, or the support as a "Wish/Request" (as a wish, not a complaint :-) ).
I'm not saying that this one will or can be done, but those are places where YesSoftware is gathering information about what users want.
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login