CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> IDE/GUI

GUI frustrations > Editing Attributes

Print topic Send  topic

adgreen

Posted: 05/25/2005, 7:11 PM

I'm have a frustrating experience using CCS to edit Form and Html element attributes on a page: I'm talking about attributes found under the Format tab of the Properties window.

While working under Design view with a page, if I edit an attribute (including events), the Format tab refreshes and the Design window refreshes, and the "cursor" is moved to the top of the page. The focus on the current element being edited is therefore lost. This makes for tedious work if working on a large page, and the element must be re-found to continue working with it, and that can take a long time.

While working under HTML view with a page, the situation is much better - the window can still jump, however the cursor remains with the element. If the current line is near the top of the file, where it's line number is between 1 and the total number available for the view, it does not jump. If the current line is, say halfway through the file, but more than the total number available for the view the window jumps. If the window has jumped, the current line is placed 8 lines down from the top of the view. This is true even if editing the very last lines on a page, which means it's scrolling "past the end".

So now I've described my problem my question is: Is this normal behavious for CCS? Is there a known fix for it? What have I missed?

Thanks for any help!

Adrian

View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 05/25/2005, 10:57 PM

This is normal behavior of CCS, although it can be considered a bug. Unfortunately we tried to fix this and other Design component limitations for several years, but without much success. It was easier to create our FrontPage add-in, which you could consider using, or even use DreamWeaver, HomeSite or any other HTML editor to edit the standard HTML properties that you find on the "Format" tab. Or you could edit the HTML tag attributes directly by changing the HTML, without using the Format tab.
Our Design editor is a Microsoft editor distributed/included with Internet Explorer and it is somewhat limited and even buggy. MS Outlook and Outlook Express use the same editor for creating emails, and there are hundreds of WYSIWYG component and thousands of other HTML editors based on the same DHTML component, and all are somewhat limited because of this.
For these reasons we say that CCS has a simple and limited HTML editor, while we recommend using other full-featured Web editors for more advanced Web editing of CCS Web pages.
adgreen

Posted: 05/26/2005, 3:15 AM

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

I've just read about Microsoft FrontPage Integration in the help - I suppose if I owned FP, it would indeed be the path of least resistance. The help file says all of the features are available within FP, so I assume the server side code is editable there too. I'll investigate this further.

Note: I have found the file notification (file externally modified) to be not consistent. It does not notify unless I switch views (eg between design and html and back).

I can and do edit attributes directly while developing - but for make quick sweeping changes through the code - something like the Format tab helps greatly. It's a visual thing.

I'm not posting to bag CCS2.3; but I'm waiting in anticipation for version 3!
sbwtxj

Posted: 05/26/2005, 7:12 AM

:-D
OK, so am i.
This problem is around my development.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login