CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

.Net components

Print topic Send  topic

TheunisP

Posted: 12/28/2005, 1:00 PM

Hi all, was wondering - everybody tells me that the big whoohaaa about .Net is the new 'intelli' controls you have access to - no more being bound to the normal vinilla HTML form controls.

Now the question am I just missing it, but CCS doesn't seem to support it - in a drag and drop sense. Did I miss something in the setup or am I correct?

Thanks
T
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 12/28/2005, 2:57 PM

You are right. CCS doesn't support this in drag-and-drop sense.

CCS visually supports its own components due to several reasons:
1. It is our goal to support all technologies in a uniform way. This means that a PHP application created with CCS will look like .NET application. Supporting 3rd party components may be possible in the future in some simple way (see #2 below) but it would also change the scope of CCS and maybe such product should have a different name and purpose.

2. Key reason is that not many 3rd party components support Internationalization, or integration with forms, validation, etc. - everything that CCS supports. So even if you dropped such component onto a page it wouldn't do anything more than just sitting there and requiring custom programming to integrate with your application. We would only get bug reports from users, like "Hey, I dropped a component onto my page but it doesn't work or doesn't do anything". CCS can only provide full integration only for components that it recognizes (which are its own). For example if you used 3rd party FileUpload component then CCS wouldn't know how to integrate it with your record form to update specific database field, how to implement validation for it within the form (display right error messages in the right place), or provide internationalization for it. And what do we do if a component doesn't offer internationalization features at all?
Thus any such components are better used in Visual Studio because that's where you can manually program everything around such component.

In CCS you can use custom coding methods to implement 3rd party components. In such case the lack of drag-and-drop may be the least of a problem :-)
TheunisP

Posted: 12/28/2005, 4:09 PM

Thanks P, I understand now - great answer - and again great response time

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login