CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

Virtual Directory, Remote server, and .NET app deployment

Print topic Send  topic

gpdeering

Posted: 03/16/2006, 9:34 AM

I am creating a CSS app in VB.NET and deploying to a remote server of which I do not have Admin privileges. I have only the access to dump my application files.

The server has IIS 5.0 installed, and with a simple aspx test file (that imports the system and sockets namespaces), I tested its ASP.NET environment.

So, I assumed I was good to go. But problems began when I got the dreaded "Parser Error" that I've seen posted here.

After employing a recommended fix (moving the "/bin" subdirectory to root) I tried it again. This time, I got a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message with a stack trace that reads:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
dataCollection.Utility.SetThreadCulture() +201
dataCollection.Header.HeaderPage.OnInit(EventArgs e) +56
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +241
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +179
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +179
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +197

Do I have to create virtual directories for each new CSS .NET app I create? Or is it enough to set the root directory as the virtual directory? I do not have Admin access, so I'd have to make this request of my IT department everytime, if necessary.

Thanks,

gpdeering
View profile  Send private message
Stan
Posted: 03/17/2006, 2:30 AM

Hi

Yes, each .NET app should work in own virual directory.

Stan
gpdeering

Posted: 03/21/2006, 5:32 AM

Since I do not have Admin privileges to the server, what, specifically, do I need to request of my IT dept?

Assume I know next-to-nothing about IIS and .NET (because it's true).
:-P

Thanks,
gpdeering
Stan
Posted: 03/21/2006, 8:00 AM

It's from the Yes site

Quote :
To create a virtual directory in your web server, use the Internet Services manager. Within the Internet Services Manager console, right click on Default Web Site and select the New --> Virtual Directory option. This will open the Virtual Directory Creation Wizard and you can follow the steps to create a virtual directory.
gpdeering

Posted: 03/21/2006, 9:58 AM

One more question:

If you say that each .NET app should work in its own virtual directory, then is that always the case? Or is that only true with CCS-generated .NET apps?

A few weeks ago, I had borrowed a small snipet of aspx code that imported the system and sockets namespaces and tried to run on my department's web server. It wouldn't run, but it turned out that the "aspnet worker process" (to quote my IT dept) was not running on my server. After they "fixed" it, the snipet of code worked as expected. Nobody ever mentioned setting up virtual directories.

Fast forward to today as I'm trying to deploy my CCS .NET app on the same server. The error I get is:
"Could not load type 'testDotNet.dataParticles.dataParticlesPage'." which references Line 2 of dataParticles.aspx. "testDotNet.ccs" is the name of the CCS project.

I noticed that in the "testDotNet.vbproj" file, it tries to inherit namespaces that begin with the string "testDotNet". It seems that CCS sets up its own objects, classes, functions, namespaces, and/or whatever. Is this the reason why it needs its own virtual directory? And does the virtual directory need a name that is indicative of the CCS project?

Thanks,
gpdeering

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login