CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> IDE/GUI

How do you set the ccs project path to a remote server vs local drive

Print topic Send  topic

rdelgado

Posted: 05/22/2006, 1:11 PM

Greetings..

The ccs "Project Path" specifies the current location of the project and its file name. How do I set this to a remote server.

My intent is to have, developer (A) code and test on a dev box then developer (B) would do acceptance testing and release to a live site. Each on a separate ccs ide sharing the the same ccs project source.

Note there would be no coding collaboration only developer (B) would be able to upload to to a live site and only developer (A) would be be authorized to change the source.

Any ideas on a ccs 2.0 solution...I'd like to avoid ccs 3.0 version control if at all possible.

???
Thanks in advance....
View profile  Send private message
mamboBROWN

Posted: 05/23/2006, 9:03 AM

rdelgado
Try this link:
http://docs.codecharge.com/studio/html/UserGuide/Workin...ngSettings.html

Any reason why you don't want to upgrade to 3.x? It has a great feature that allows you to setup different servers/locations to publish too with the click of button.
rdelgado

Posted: 05/23/2006, 11:06 AM

MamboBrown,

Thanks for the reply... But, the link you refer to specifies the Publishing/target location where the live generated project will reside.

The problem at hand requires changing the ccs project/source location where the .ccp and _event user handcrafted code resides. Note, the tab "Project" next to "Publishing" contains the project location but it is a protected field.

I've tried starting a new project and pointing the project source location to a network drive via an ftp path but have not been successfull. Any thoughts on this approach...?

Thanks again,

Rick

ps.
I'm sold on 3.0 but it has not proven to be fully downward compatible. I have multiple 2.0 projects with several hundred pages when I tried converting, I ran into hours of work to convert. I do plan to use 3.0 for any new projects and will eventually set aside time to convert and test my 2.0 apps.
peterr

Posted: 05/24/2006, 12:15 AM

Sorry but FTP is almost never used for saving files from any application (CCS project consists of a number of files being saved to disk). Most software will not support this since FTP is a file transfer protocol, not a location where something could be saved. You can only save files to a network drive that is mapped to a drive letter on your computer (like Z:).

BTW, we've used SourceOffSite with CCS 2.x for multiple developers working on a single project - locally and remotely.

PS.
CCS 3.0 is fully downward compatible with CCS 1.x and 2.x. There are occasional issues, but most are related to using incorrect conversion procedures. You may contact product support to check what the problem is. Usually one simple step like deleting certain php files can fix all those errors.
rdelgado

Posted: 05/24/2006, 5:14 AM

Thank you Peter,

I'll look into SourceOffSite and related products.... For our 2.x projects.

cheers
Rick

ps.
I've burned many hours with yesSoftware support on the 3.0 downward compatiblity issue and dispite, I being ccs's biggest fan (self appointed title). Support has failed to prove 3.0 is "Fully" downward compatible. Yes it is a conversion problem, but not a user error. The conversion module fails to recognize valid code constructs in working 2.x pages that fail in 3.0 . Date functions are just the most obvious but I ran into others.

When converting 1 or 2 projects with a handfull of pages this amounts to a minor nuisance. When converting several projects with hundreds of tested/provden 2.x pages it adds many man hours of debugging/testing.
Though impressed with the YesS 3.0 delivery and see the benefits I'm not able to commit the time to convert yet..

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login