CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

Real World Cases - with code generated in .NET

Print topic Send  topic

FrankR

Posted: 09/19/2006, 5:47 AM

Have you built something large and successful with CCS - with code generated in .NET?

I asked this question in another thread - but without determining what the code generation was.

If you use CCS with .NET, what's your view of the code quality?

Let me say it in a more practical way. If I build an app that is mostly CCS-generated code, can I quickly deploy it with confidence with minimal testing, knowing that the code base is battle tested and reliable?

Comments appreciated.

Posted: 09/27/2006, 7:50 AM

We did.
Can give a temp login.

Posted: 09/28/2006, 3:47 AM

We are considering a CSS / .Net project for quite a complex database.

I would appreciate a comment about the code quality also, as I'm not a .NET person myself.

Regards,
Michael
FrankR

Posted: 09/28/2006, 5:20 AM

Well, hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll be able to comment scientifically on my initial question.

I have only been at it a couple of weeks. I have walked through plenty of CCS generated code by now. I haven't seen anything that would make me worry about code quality yet. As I test, the behavior of the app is normal. I haven't seen anything weird that would make me worry - yet.

A few times along the way, CCS itself as crashed on me, but there are millions of factors that could have been involved. As long as the generated app is reliable, I'll keep smiling.

As I continue having real world experience with it, I'll continue commenting. So far, I'd say I'm off to a great start with CCS, and I look at it as extremely valuable and a very substantial code and time saver.

My biggest negative is figuring out how to inject custom code. There are a coupla simple cases out in the wild, but in general, I feel like I'm reverse engineering CCS to determine how to write my own code alongside it. Every time someone asks about accessing data, the first answer is Varible.Value in a BeforeShow event, but there's a whole lot more to it than that.

As I determine techniques, I am wrapping it all in a single .NET CCSAssistant() class that I may offer up someday. My problem with releasing it is I'm sure there are going to be better ways for doing some of what I am doing. I'm good at finding A Way, but I'm not always the best at finding The Best way. :-)

If I could find a handful of .NETters that I could rely on for consistent dialog over a couple of week period, I'd review with them everything I learned and then offer up the CCSAssistant() class, but I'm not seeing enough of a critical mass of .NET dialog here to do that - yet.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login