CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

Ajax Support (Your Opinions Please)

Print topic Send  topic

Ozum

Posted: 10/22/2006, 6:52 AM

Hi,

Everybody talks AJAX and Web 2.0 these days. Of course I will be very happy when I see that CCS supports AJAX, but I think we, CCS users, should fill the concept of Ajax support in CCS to get right thing and provide a clear sight to YesSoftware.

I suggest users write opinions here: Would you like to see AJAX in CCS, and if yes, how you would like tto see. Below is my opinions:

1. A general purpose open source JS library like 'prototype' should be included and integrated into CCS.

2. Rich control types not limited to but including auto filling textboxes, excel like spreadsheet controls would be great. (I know, as of 3.1 FCKEditor is added: It's great.)

Also there is an important issue about AJAX. Some web sites use AJAX only to say "Look we use AJAX". It should be constrained in CCS to use AJAX or just client side JS:

For example, suppose you have a list of names which user should select from, but you want to provide it as a textbox instead of listbox, because for heavy data entering operations users are more comfortible with them. For a textbox for that purpose, an auto filling textbox is most convinient choice. And there is 20 of them (as in editable grids). When you have just 20 names it should be client side JS, since a connection to server is an overkill and waste of user time. On the other hand if you have 10.000 names in the database it shouldn't be loaded into page as JS.

In CCS we should be able to choose in control's properties after how many records AJAX should be used instead of client side JS.

3. Submitted forms may only update only the "DIV" tag which they are in or another DIV we choose or more than one DIVs in that page via AJAX.

For example, suppose a page consisting of controls: A grid showing member action history, a grid showing member info, and a form updating member info and other unrelated grids and forms. When you submit the form to update member info the two grids and form should be updated (via AJAX) and other unrelated page elements stay on the page.

I know, my suggestions are already possible via CCS by using custom coding and actions. (I did all of them in some projects - painful and fragile sometimes) The point is that if it is integrated in CCS it eases the development and maintanence cycle, which is the meaning of using RAD.

Regards,

Ozum Eldogan
View profile  Send private message
awnconsulting

Posted: 11/17/2006, 6:36 PM

Yes, create custom actions to change the html links to javascript links that call an Ajax routine. Use a custom action on a form button as well.

My name is Al Newkirk (), I have put together an application dubbed Actioneer (which can be obtained free for beta testing). I am completely revamping my website so I can't offer a download right now (sorry), but if you can find the time to shoot me an email, I will respond with the app and a request for feedback once you use it. Please take the time to test this product, I encourage YesSoftware employees as well. Actioneer Beta v1.0 is a Windows application which supports, Perl, PHP, JSP, ASP, & CFM. Once the site is up lookup for the Actioneer links and advertisements. I will include How-Tos for manual creation as well as help docs for the Actioneer product.

Al Newkirk
www.awnstudio.com
info@awnstudio.com
sandrine

Posted: 12/02/2006, 12:30 PM

Just let you know that the support of AJAX is something that CCS users ask us more and more.
We could try to know HOW French CCS customers would like to see AJAX in CCS...

Posted: 12/07/2006, 11:10 PM

I would love to have native AJAX support in CCS...
sandrine

Posted: 01/03/2007, 3:21 PM

Here is a request feature about AJAX...
An AJAX feature in CCS would be the updating of information on a page without reloading it.
For instance that'd be great to be able to refresh the results by an AJAX request (XMLHttpRequest) on a page which includes a search form and a results grid.

Posted: 01/08/2007, 2:32 AM

Prototype is a very simple library to use and integrate into CCS.

Calling back to the server is pretty simple and can be done several ways. Either with the HTTPRequest object or using and IFrame and interframe communications.

Often people use the catchphrase of AJAX but not realise what the technology can actually do for one. It will take a little work.. as will all libraries. But with a little reading you can go far.

I was using and developing AJAX style applications before AJAX became a concept.. But that was using IFrames as my server link.

Take Care All

Dave

cleyan

Posted: 01/09/2007, 9:24 AM

maybe yes software could implement ajax controls like this: http://www.turboajax.com/turbowidgets/
?
www.leytec.net
lvalverdeb

Posted: 01/12/2007, 9:54 AM

CCS support for the Dojo Toolkit (http://dojotoolkit.org/) would be fantastic.
GeorgeS

Posted: 01/20/2007, 9:07 PM

Dojo support would be great!

Posted: 01/21/2007, 3:52 AM

I have been looking at Rico and the very powerful Rico Live Grid Plus.

Not yet editable however for searching it is very powerful

And it also works with PHP and ASP

http://openrico.org/

Enjoy

Dave

alx

Posted: 02/09/2007, 7:34 AM

Dave, Rico LiveGrid Plus *is* editable - not inline but via pop-up div. See Ex.8 and try dbclick on a cell.

http://www.dowdybrown.com/dbprod/rico-test9/php/ex8.php

The most powerful free grid I've seen.
knoops

Posted: 03/29/2007, 4:21 AM

I like AJAX, but I find it a bit too immature to be asking for it in CCS. I have been playing around with Dojo and a few other libraries and I noticed that the cross-browser problem can still pop up at any moment. When I create an application or a public website with CCS, I want to be quite certain, that I don't have to update complete JS libraries every month, because some browsers have been messing around with the JavaScript support. Perhaps I lack the expertise to judge correctly, but I have not found any real standardisation except for the use of JSON. Because of that, I don't see why CCS should put effort into adding support for the dozens of libraries available. I mean, even with the FCKEditor you just can't be sure that it will work in half a year from now. Or at least not as sure as I can be about my SQL queries and the PHP-code.
advcomputer

Posted: 04/01/2007, 10:45 AM

Just my 2 cents but I would rather deal with issues such as Database Concurrency Control before I worry about AJAX and other UI Issues.

See the post listed below for more details on Concurrency Control;

http://forums.yessoftware.com/posts.php?post_id=85685

Just think about it, whats more important to a client, a fancy screen or the data that it contains.

-Jeff

rjbullock

Posted: 05/21/2007, 8:02 AM

I have to agree... I don't think AJAX should be a priority. There are other things CCS should do before AJAX.
Ozum

Posted: 05/22/2007, 1:13 AM

I agree there are other things too, but unfortunately I don't agree with AJAX is immature or not priority. There are lots of stable and robust web sites and more than that admin panels and applications built with AJAX.

Customers demand more and more AJAX based applications. Even I deliver more features, they will pay AJAX based applications for ease of use not just a buzzword.

For example my company uses PERL, and temporarily stopped to take new web based projects until we found a suitable AJAX framework. Although I integrated Mason, Prototype and CodeChargeStudio they tend to wait native CCS Ajax support.

I personally like to use AJAX applications too. They provide intuitive interfaces.

Regards,
mikehoskins

Posted: 09/10/2007, 1:21 PM

Prototype AJAX support should definitely be in CCS.

Then, maybe you can target Ruby on Rails as a supported Language Framework, while you're under the hood. ;-)

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login