CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

Strange Problem causes crash

Print topic Send  topic

ducati996guy

Posted: 10/26/2006, 6:20 PM

Hi All,

I am running version 2 & 3 on my laptop. Last week for no reason I can determine, version 2 started crashing whenever I attempted to access a database connection.

If I have a grid and attempt to change the datasource, I get a crash and a Microsoft window that comes up saying "Codecharge studio has encountered a problem and needs to close etc etc"

Seems to happen whenever I do anything around accessing the database connection. Dont have the problem at all in version 3. I am sure this problem is not really codecharge but some other dll that is corrupted or something.

I have removed and re-installed, rebooted, done all I can think of. The problem occurs if I attempt to connect to access or SQL server. I can build the connection without problem and if I add a grid (not the grid builder) it is fine. It is when I select datasource it all goes pear shaped.

Ideally I should just get rid of version 2 and migrate everything, but some of the apps are pretty big.

has anyone else seen anything like this or have a suggestion on how to solve?

Many Thanks

David

View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 10/27/2006, 12:00 AM

Have you maybe installed IE7 recently? (could be related to these problems)
ducati996guy

Posted: 10/27/2006, 12:14 AM

Hi PeterR,

Yes, I did install IE7 last week. Does Microsloth in their wisdom mess with database connections when installing a new browser?

Thanks
David
ducati996guy

Posted: 10/27/2006, 2:30 PM

QUick Update, I just installed version 3.1. Crashing problem is resolved. Interesting as the problem must of been in a shared library used by both versions.

Peter R if you are still monitoring this post, can you please confirm.

Thanks
David
peterr

Posted: 10/27/2006, 2:50 PM

AFAIK there were several IE7 related problems that required changes in CCS. However, I don't know specific details or the their exact nature.
CCS 3.1 is addressing this issue and was officially released just a few minute ago: http://support.yessoftware.com/updates.asp
ducati996guy

Posted: 11/03/2006, 12:46 PM

Hi Peter,

Last week we had the strange problem where ie7 was causing Codecharge 2.3.2.28 to crash when attempting to access a database connection. This is the same as my first post above. This was resolved by the version 3.1 update.

For no reason I can ascertain, the problem has re-appeared.

Has something changed with a MS update? All of a sudden I cant run version 2. This is very strange as your releases of 3.1 last week resolved the issue.

Version 3 is 3.1.0.1

Thanks
David
peterr

Posted: 11/03/2006, 9:12 PM

Quote :
All of a sudden I cant run version 2.

Not sure what do you mean. Only version 3 was fixed/updated, not 2.
ducati996guy

Posted: 11/03/2006, 10:59 PM

Hi Peter,

The problem was originally in version 2 and the 3.1 update resolved the issue. So the problem went away, hence my question above about shared libraries between versions 2 & 3.

So I worked for a few days without any problems. Now both versions appear to have the identical problem where they crash if I attempt to access a database connection.

Anyway it appears my only solution here to revert to ie6 but I do see this as a serious problem in light of Microsoft planning to deploy ie7 as part of windows update service.

Thanks
David

ducati996guy

Posted: 11/03/2006, 11:00 PM

One other thing, I have completely removed both 2 & 3 and re-installed which did not fix the issue.
Thanks
David
peterr

Posted: 11/03/2006, 11:35 PM

AFAIK this problem was never fixed in version 2, regardless of what happened during 3.1 installation...
ducati996guy

Posted: 11/04/2006, 12:00 PM

Hi Peter,

ok, lets forget version 2 and focus on version 3 then. Although I still think this will be a problem.

So right now, on my machine, I have Codecharge version 3.1.0.1. I also have IE7.

If I fresh boot the machine and run version 3. Everything works fine. If I then run version 2 and attempt to change the datasource, I get a crash and a Microsoft window that comes up saying "Codecharge studio has encountered a problem and needs to close etc etc"

if I then go back and try to run version 3, I get the crash. If I reboot, once again version 3 runs fine fine until I attempt to run version 2.

The only reason I was even aware that this problem had anything to do with IE was your original reply dated 10/27/2006, 12:00 AM

Thanks
peterr

Posted: 11/05/2006, 12:43 AM

What you described looks OK. Since version 2 doesn't work with IE7 it shouldn't be run at all on that computer. Otherwise I'd expect the problem that you described.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login