CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge -> Tips & Solutions

Tip: Workaround ODBC incompatibilities with Progress SQL Server

Print topic Send  topic

hlorange

Posted: 02/26/2007, 2:37 AM

I thought I'd share this info, in case someone else experiences the same issue.

I am connecting to a Progress SQL server (hosting MFGPRO), using OpenLink OBDC drivers for Windows. Since CCS does not support Progress SQL "out of the box", I have set the connection properties to ANSI SQL.

Rather quickly, CCS became unstable, especially the Visual Query Builder. When checking "Use ODBC cursor" in the connection properties, the design connections in CCS worked well, and the query builder worked and preview of data was correct. In runtime, however, no data would be displayed (empty grids, but it still listed x hits and y pages). When unchecking the "Use ODBC cursor", the runtime worked as expected, but CCS would hang, or take 8-10 minutes to respond, whenever accessing the database connection in design mode (editing a query, changing database field for a label, etc).

After some troubleshooting with Yes support (thanks guys, you are excellent!) we figured out that the problem was related to some inconsistencies regarding the Progress ODBC implementation, together with the fact that the actual ODBC driver is buggy.

So the very simple, but very effective solution, was to copy the database structure from the Progress server and create a similar database in a local MySQL server. This way, both CCS design AND runtime works perfectly.

I used a freeware tool called SQL Script Builder, that extracted the database structure from Progress into MySQL format. http://membres.lycos.fr/sqlbuilder/

Hope this is of use to anyone. If you need help connecting to MFG/PRO or Progress, send me a pm or post here. It can be a bit troublesome, and it might be unstable unless the parameters are *perfect*.

Best regards
Henrik Lorange
Oslo, Norway

View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login