CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

VB.NET - how many users

Print topic Send  topic

Vasiliy

Posted: 08/09/2007, 9:08 PM

Anyone who use CCS for VB.NET, please, reply here.

It is important to have your feedback here because CCS VB.NET v2 release date maybe delayed comparing to C# if Yes does not have enough VB.NET users.

To Yes: sorry if I misunderstood tech. support in phone conversation, but for my company it is very important to get improvements of CCS .Net v2. I can list difference between v1 and v2 in details, but in general current (v1) .Net implementation is not very well suited for 100+ pages project.

Posted: 08/10/2007, 2:53 AM

I have apps in vb.net
View profile  Send private message
fmbma

Posted: 08/10/2007, 7:18 AM

I've been trying to work with it. I don't think the .net implementation is very good.
ttflyer

Posted: 08/10/2007, 2:19 PM

I am using CodeCharge to build VB.NET 2.0 applications.
CCS's .NET application structure makes it difficult to work with Visual Studio and third party controls.
We have done three complete apps this spring and summer in CCS/VB.NET and have 4 more on the drawing board.
A significant imrovement to 'standardize' CCS and allow it to work more closely with VS2005 would be an incredibly big help in our situation. This is our livelyhood.
Please, continue to work on VBNET support for CodeCharge!
spankey

Posted: 08/11/2007, 1:06 PM

I'm a VB.net user with a lot of interest. I have recently converted from ASP 3.0. Could use all the improvements asap, as I have a lot of projects I am converting
navcan

Posted: 08/11/2007, 8:54 PM

:-/ I have already converted some large projects from ASP 3.0 to .net. There are at least 7 major projects in the pipeline. I am 100% depending on CodeCharge to build VB.NET apps.

We cannot afford to loose VB.NET from CCS. YesSoftware please think twice and think carefully before making any decision. You will definitely make your customers very unhappy if discontinuing or delaying the VB.NET ver 2 release date :-@

Thank you.

navcan
Mibble

Posted: 08/13/2007, 10:10 AM

I use VS2005 also, i have code generated in framework 1.1, need it in 2.0 or 3.0. is the new version doing this now?
Edd

Posted: 08/13/2007, 3:36 PM

This would be a CRITICAL failure in Yes Software's strategy. They still have ASP developers migrating to .Net. - they are not going to C#.

The greater problem is that the .Net offerings are starting to be uncompetitive. Their main competitor is miles in front of them in the .Net area.

I am just holding on for the .Net version - however if the delivery is not what I expect then I cannot afford to wait.

http://www.syntech.com.au
Tuong Do
Posted: 08/13/2007, 4:21 PM

I have been using VB .NET since V2

I am currently using CCS V3.1

"Vasiliy" <Vasiliy@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:846bbe4a964b62@news.codecharge.com...
> Anyone who use CCS for VB.NET, please, reply here.
>
> It is important to have your feedback here because CCS VB.NET v2 release
> date
> maybe delayed comparing to C# if Yes does not have enough VB.NET users.
>
>
>
> To Yes: sorry if I misundersood tech. support in phone conversation, but
> for my
> company it is very important to get improvements of CCS .Net v2. I can
> list
> difference between v1 and v2 in details, but in general current (v1) .Net
> implementation is not very well suited for 100+ pages project.
> _________________
> Vasiliy V Goncharenko
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.codecharge.com/
>

JimmyCrackedCorn

Posted: 08/14/2007, 5:42 PM

Quote Edd:
This would be a CRITICAL failure in Yes Software's strategy. They still have ASP developers migrating to .Net. - they are not going to C#.

The greater problem is that the .Net offerings are starting to be uncompetitive. Their main competitor is miles in front of them in the .Net area.

I am just holding on for the .Net version - however if the delivery is not what I expect then I cannot afford to wait.

Could someone clarify for me what is being discussed here? I am currently using mostly ASP but plan to start with .NET very soon. Are you telling me the .NET features of CCS are not up to standard? For .NET we are using Visual Studio 2005 and all our .NET apps are using v2.0 framework. I have just assumed when we start using CCS it would be seamless.

Posted: 08/14/2007, 5:53 PM

Hey Edd,

I just PMed you re: this topic.

Jimmy

Posted: 08/16/2007, 4:28 AM

I have extensive work using VB Net and codecharge.
I would be extremelly harmed by any move that YES would take concerning future NET versions dumping VB

Andre
cvboucher

Posted: 08/17/2007, 8:31 AM

I also have a number of apps written with CodeCharge/VB.NET and would hate to see the VB.NET Code Language go away.
Craig
fmbma

Posted: 08/18/2007, 1:37 PM

removed by author
Vasiliy

Posted: 08/18/2007, 7:37 PM

Quote :
I'm curious if anyone found a good alternative to CCS for vb.net?

Off-subject.

Posted: 08/20/2007, 7:29 AM

I am another user using ASP.NET VB in CodeChargeStudio v3.2.0.2
achayka

Posted: 08/22/2007, 5:29 PM

I have couple of projects developed with CodeCharge \ VB.NET. Any release news that might affect these projects ROI will not be likable and welcomed.

Regards,
Andrew
gpdeering

Posted: 08/30/2007, 1:36 PM

Count me in. I use ASP.NET for two reasons here at work:
The IT department prefers that all web apps be developed with .NET, and
I know the VB language better than C#.

Moreover, I have a mission-critical application developed w/ CCS in VB.NET running around the clock in a 24/7/365 manufacturing environment. My job description is not one of a programmer/web developer, but the factory has come to depend daily on my app. I would hate to have to rewrite the custom code in another language that I'm not completely familiar with.

And because CCS has been extremely beneficial to my job, I'm a paid annual subscription user for the full-blown version. I love the flexibility in languages that CCS offers.

--gpdeering
hellsa

Posted: 09/07/2007, 10:25 PM

I too use CCS for VB.NET development.

Posted: 09/21/2007, 9:59 AM

This is a very bad new.
I did a big effort to migrate my CCS apps from ASP to VB .Net thinking it was the best strategy for the near future and hearing about this disapoints me very much.
I plan to develop a new big project and now I don't know what to do.
I'm very worried about this.
Any new would be appreciated
JN

Posted: 09/21/2007, 2:37 PM

What is the specific problem?
We work with customers who have large enterprise systems based on CCS and .NET.
For example I don't understand speculations about 100 page limit or YesSoftware abandoning .NET. The .NET framework 2.0 was also supported since its release.
Vasiliy

Posted: 09/21/2007, 2:56 PM

Peter,
there are no "speculations about 100 page limit".
There is a fact: CCS VB.NET project with 100+ pages is a _bad_ idea.
I described the problem to Konrad in pm, he took timeout looking for a solution with developers and confirmed - for current CCS VB.NET implementation there is no solution.

The problem is: if I or one of my guys make _any_ changes in this project, system with 4x 3GHz cores and RAID5 15rpm HDDs takes ~45 seconds to recompile the app.
I mean _any_ changes, even minor control re-position (which is supposed to be a html-page changes only).
And we make a lot of changes during the day.

This is a very painful topic for me, and I prefer sit and wait for VB2 ... w/o expressing my emotions.

Posted: 09/21/2007, 2:58 PM

BTW, sorry but I might've missed the original point. Is this topic related only to VB.NET, but not to ASP.NET in general?
If so, the next CCS update is planned to include support for an external ASP.NET application framework written in C# and we don't have much control of this. However it looks like VB.NET applications can use C# framework and everyone should be able to create C# and VB.NET applications in the same way - although maybe this part is no fully clarified yet and we will all see how this will work. However, in both cases the custom code would be quite similar between C# and VB.NET and some of you may not even see differences between C# and VB.NET, so some VB developers may also become C# gurus :-)

I also can say that currently YesSoftware is very focused specifically on ASP.NET and what you will see by end of the year may blow your mind away (in a positive way). For example the custom code of your ASP.NET applications will look so similar to ASP and PHP that we (including myself) will be in very familiar territory and feel like .NET experts. Integration with 3rd party controls and Visual Studio should also be much more natural and straightforward, plus independent of CCS.

In any case I recommend waiting before speculating :-) (till end of October)
peterr

Posted: 09/21/2007, 3:09 PM

Vasiliy,

If you are referring to the compiling time, then this is a relative subject and not necessarily related to CCS. Many .NET applications created with Visual Studio also require long compilation times, often counted in minutes for larger applications.
Of course some things can be improved here like splitting an application into multiple ones, reorganizing development into smaller projects (then merging into main one), or changes in the code structure that we're making for next version of CCS, etc.
However, the fact that ASP.NET compiles applications cannot go away and this can always be looked at as a problem that affects all .NET developers. I think the main problem currently may be that making changes to one CCS page requires recompiling the full application, which probably has roots in ASP.NET 1.0, but now can be resolved with ASP.NET 2.0 and the new code structure we're working on. So this really will be a good improvement.
Vasiliy

Posted: 09/21/2007, 5:35 PM

Piter,
thank you for your feedback.

The problem with CCS VB.Net implementaion: every time user updates the page (any part, even just a design), CCS updates the datetime stamp in App_Code folder.
And this causes _complete_ application re-compilation.

Just imaging - after any minor change you have to wait while appication get recompiled by framework. This is how CCS VB.Net v1 works currently ... and it drives us (developers in my company) nuts. We are waiting for CCS VB2.

I posted this problem to support long time ago.

As for enterprise level, 2-nd largest US bank (I can not use names) test web-app build in CCS for last 2 months in their test lab - perfect code, no problems with performance.
Again - I'm not questioning performance.

Posted: 09/23/2007, 11:24 PM

Thanks for clarification Vasiliy.
I was only concerned that some things may be confusing when taken out of context.
For example one person thought that we do not suport ASP.NET 2.0.
Also the situation with .NET is changing almost every week (for the better) and it's not the question if Yes will support .NET or VB.NET but how. YesSoftware is also working on new .NET features, products and partnerships that shall further decrease the need for manual coding and blur the line between VB.NET and C#, or make some people happily using C#, etc.
Therefore let's just wait a little longer! :-)
Vasiliy

Posted: 09/24/2007, 10:13 AM

Piter,
thank you for clarification.

We are patient ... but need a hope from Yes. :-)

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login