CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

How About a Build Log File?

Print topic Send  topic

JimmyCrackedCorn

Posted: 09/24/2007, 5:16 PM

I guess you could still call me a CCS novice even though I'm pumping out web apps using CCS.

But I have to repeat my work A LOT! I'll build something and then realize I forgot a key setting (that can't be changed after building) and have to go back through the entire build process again, sometimes many times!

I don't know if anyone else has this experience but here is my typical workflow using CCS,

1) outline my project on paper to define major components needed
2) open CCS and use the appropriate builder to build one or more components
3) refine my design and realize some limitation I built in by not choosing the correct CCS option during building
4) throw away what I built in CCS previously because I cannot always easily change what it has built for me
5) repeat steps 2 through 4 many times

Now ideally I wish I could rerun the builder on an existing page and simply change options. That would be GREAT!

But assuming that is not likely to happen, how about having CCS create a log file that includes EVERY choice/setting/etc. that I make during the building of a component along with every table and field used, the query string, etc. That way, when I go through steps 2-4 above multiple times, I don't forget what I did last time or leave out some setting I did not wish to change. Currently I actually keep a text file open while I go through the builders and keep a list of the choices made so I can later repeat them if I need to. But if CCS did this for me I'd be a happy camper!

Let me offer one obvious example,

As I go through CCS to create my query I put a lot of thought into it and carefully craft all of the tables, fields, conditions, sorting, etc. But if I have to start over, that all has to be done again! How about once I create the query, CCS stores the query string in the log file so if I should ever need to use it again I can just paste it into the query builder instead of having to manually select all of the criteria?

Posted: 10/10/2007, 4:09 PM

<bump>

Posted: 10/11/2007, 2:22 AM

I agree, whenever I forgot a tiny little thing I have to start all over. Not very efficient. I would like to see that improved as well.

Thomas
View profile  Send private message
Oper

Posted: 10/15/2007, 6:28 AM

confused on this.

i never have to delete a querybuilder to modify unless i miss so many column that i will be easy to start all over.

in what case you have to delete to start all over again.

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login