CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

What is InMotion? How is it related to CCS? And other questions!

Print topic Send  topic

JimmyCrackedCorn

Posted: 12/17/2007, 6:02 PM

OK. I've been busy working with the ASP output of CCS and merrily creating sites over the past few months. But I'm planning to switch to .NET very soon for everything we do. I've been watching with some interest the upcoming 4.0 release. But I'm really puzzled and maybe someone can help clear it all up for me!

1) does CCS generate .NET applications now? I have been under the understanding that it does.

2) does the current CCS version have any serious limitations or problems in the .NET area?

3) will the current CCS version produce .NET 2.0 code?

4) what is InMotion and why should I care if I already have CCS 3.2 generating .NET code for me?

5) does InMotion provide some big improvement to CCS .NET?

6) Is InMotion the basis for the next .NET upgrade of CCS?

7) how is it better?

8) can I generate CCS 4.0 .NET apps WITHOUT InMotion?

9) can I generate InMotion .NET apps without CCS?

I guess you can tell I am completely puzzled about what this is and why I should care!!! Somebody unpuzzle me! :)

Posted: 12/27/2007, 1:15 PM

<BUMP>

Posted: 01/19/2008, 10:09 AM

Jimmy,
I have limited knowledge, based on email conversation with Peter and 2 primitive projects.

> 1) does CCS generate .NET applications now? I have been under the understanding that it does.

Yes

> 2) does the current CCS version have any serious limitations or problems in the .NET area?

No, nothing serious, but some minor stuff is annoying.

> 3) will the current CCS version produce .NET 2.0 code?

Yes.

> 4) what is InMotion and why should I care if I already have CCS 3.2 generating .NET code for me?

Consider InMotion as a framework (a set of functions).
CCS can generate .Net code using InMotion functions, and result has less code and easier to maintain (because all custom code is stored in a separate file, similar to Classic ASP).

> 5) does InMotion provide some big improvement to CCS .NET?

Can not tell you.
Keep in mind: any step aside of MS .Net Framework may hit you later, when InMotion developers drop supporting it (for any reason: no market, stronger competitors, changes in priorities ...)

> 6) Is InMotion the basis for the next .NET upgrade of CCS?

Don't know.

> 7) how is it better?

CCS pages with InMotion have cleaner structure.

> 8) can I generate CCS 4.0 .NET apps WITHOUT InMotion?

Yes.

> 9) can I generate InMotion .NET apps without CCS?

Don't know, but I think Yes.

> I guess you can tell I am completely puzzled about what this is and why I should care!!! Somebody unpuzzle me! :)

I'll unpuzzle you ... if u unpuzzle me. :-D
So far I'm waiting for CCS4 RC to see what ppl can do with InMotion.

Posted: 01/19/2008, 2:47 PM

Thanks Vasiliy. That helps!

Posted: 01/19/2008, 9:16 PM

this is interesting.

jimmy have you ever thought of the unsupported functions by .net which are in classic ASP

Even i have been coding in ASP but tried to move to .net, the project had lots of compilation errors whereas it was working perfectly in ASP.

Does CCS convert the code automatically to the new equivalent funtion syntax supported by .net, if not then we should atleast have a list of known issues we will encounter while converting from ASP to ASP.net

View profile  Send private message
JimmyCrackedCorn

Posted: 01/19/2008, 10:28 PM

Quote AQUANANU:
this is interesting.

jimmy have you ever thought of the unsupported functions by .net which are in classic ASP

Even i have been coding in ASP but tried to move to .net, the project had lots of compilation errors whereas it was working perfectly in ASP.

Does CCS convert the code automatically to the new equivalent funtion syntax supported by .net, if not then we should atleast have a list of known issues we will encounter while converting from ASP to ASP.net

you make a really good point. I was assuming I'll have to map out all of my custom code and rewrite it based on what CCS will (and will not) do in .NET.

if anyone has any experience in converting CCS ASP apps to .NET it would be interesting to hear about it!

Posted: 02/11/2008, 9:54 AM

Quote JimmyCrackedCorn:
Quote AQUANANU:
this is interesting.

Because of the differences in the .NET framework compared to classic ASP, you really shouldn't just do a conversion. Although a conversion will work in some cases, you're generally not taking full advantage of .NET by converting a project--you really need to re-evaluate and re-write it. Microsoft has a big white paper at their developer center: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336650.aspx

you make a really good point. I was assuming I'll have to map out all of my custom code and rewrite it based on what CCS will (and will not) do in .NET.

if anyone has any experience in converting CCS ASP apps to .NET it would be interesting to hear about it!
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login