CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge -> General/Other

Code Charge - Next Release

Print topic Send  topic

navcan

Posted: 03/08/2004, 5:16 AM

Ref to below announcement from Code Charge Team does anybody has any news as when the next release of Code Charge will be available???

Posted: 01/13/2004, 1:53 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings everyone,

Thank you for the great feedback on our new forum system. We’ve received many helpful suggestions, positive comments, and several bug reports that we are rectifying.

Here is a brief update to let you know that we're now working on:
- CodeCharge Studio 3.0, currently in the planning phase

- A redesign of CodeCharge, including the possibility of combining both CodeCharge and CodeCharge Studio, or reusing certain CCS components within CodeCharge, such as the Visual Query Builder. We’re also researching the possibility of generating CCS projects from CodeCharge.

- Additional product(s) that will be announced soon

Although we cannot disclose more details at this time, we hope that 2004 will be as exciting for you as it started for us.

Regards,

YesSoftware Team
View profile  Send private message
Steven

Posted: 04/02/2004, 9:41 AM

I have been watching to see if their would be anything else posted about this "Codecharge" enhanced version.

Can anyone give any more info about this yet?

Robert
Posted: 04/09/2004, 12:10 PM

I would like to see to integrate Qadram Studio with CodeCharge Studio.
roy
Posted: 04/13/2004, 10:16 AM

O:)
I love code charge, but does this mean that my $500 spent is only good while version 2.0 is around?
Ripcurl

Posted: 04/13/2004, 2:08 PM

The only things I want added to any new CC versions are:

1) The ability to choose a third-party WysiWyg editor and recognize any "edits" done in that editor
2) The ability to place the templates into the DB (a template table) instead of individual .html/.htm/tpl files; and query the templates from the DB.

Any CCS features will be bad for CC as CCS, as a ten year old would put it, sucks.
navcan

Posted: 04/16/2004, 5:27 AM

Hello,

Just verified with YesSoftware. There is no chance of the next release of CodeCharge in near future. They are just focusing on the next release of CodeChargeSudio. Sorry but that's the latest.

Regards,
NavCan
cohen
Posted: 05/02/2004, 8:25 AM

i hope that the newt release will accept clipboard ...it's had all time to run wordpad to udapte my new link on my dynamic site.
Rip
Posted: 06/21/2004, 2:02 PM

any updates? Like having the option during publishing (or when you're setting up the project) to store templates into the DB?

Or to slim down CCS so that it's 100% like CC?
Joey

Posted: 07/07/2004, 9:52 PM

Just wondering if we can get an *official* update as to weather a new version of CC is in the works. While CCS is probably great, a lot of the simplicity in CC is what we are looking for. I know we would have a great learning curve to go to ccs....

Thanks!

Joey
Don Safar
Posted: 07/08/2004, 8:43 PM

I felt the same way you do. I finally made the decision to go with ccs a
little over a year ago. It is a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.
It is a much more powerful tool and it appears that this(ccs) is where Yes
is concentrating it's development effort.
Rip
Posted: 07/13/2004, 6:56 PM

Quote Don Safar:
I felt the same way you do. I finally made the decision to go with ccs a
little over a year ago. It is a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.
It is a much more powerful tool and it appears that this(ccs) is where Yes
is concentrating it's development effort.

great for you. NOt for those who dont like CCS or its features or its complicated nature.

You're talking to someone who continues to do HTML in notepad.
Rip
Posted: 07/13/2004, 7:00 PM

You know, if YES is still gonna sell CC to the public, they OWE it to those who have bought the program to provide updates to the software as well as on line in the forums. and addressing our concerns.
peterr

Posted: 07/13/2004, 11:50 PM

Hi,

I can only share what I personally feel and know, and my comments shouldn't be taken as an official statement from the company. If YesSoftware decides to create such statement they will do so, though I doubt that any plans regarding CodeCharge are sufficiently solidified.
Thus as a personal view of mine:
1. The most common problem with CodeCharge was its inflexibility in couple key areas: code editing and HTML/layout editing. Many users reported that they would like to make their font bigger, change cells colors, re-arrange fields within the form, rearrange forms within the page, etc., but all this was "locked" because CodeCharge was generating HTML automatically and it would even overwrite any HTML changes you could’ve made outside of CodeCharge. Similar concerns applied to the generated code, which also would be overwritten when re-generating the application.
These and other concerns were the primary reasons for inventing and implementing CodeCharge Studio. CCS was basically created to solve all the lacks and problems of CC. At the same time we decided to take another look at the generated code and make it better suited for custom coding. For these and other reasons we decided to generate object oriented code, which possibly is more complex than in CC but offers better extensibility and event handling.
Overall we were all very excited about CodeCharge Studio, as it was a product that would solve so many problems, offer more flexibility, the power of visual design and generally more features that our users asked for.
But I was personally tied to CC too and I actually had several projects on my own developed with CC with a lot of custom code. And I too felt that I can do whatever I need in CC. I didn't care about being able to modify the HTML because I am not a designer and it was even a benefit for CC to generate the visual look of the application in addition to the code.
However, since I was to support CCS I had to try it and learn it myself. And after a few days I got used to it and realized that it is indeed just as good a tool as CC, plus offers much more.
I won't be getting into more details, but I simply recommend that you force yourself into using CCS for a week, maybe even converting one of your CC projects and you should discover the true power of CCS. If not then I just don’t have a solution for you.

2. You should be aware that CCS *IS* the upgrade for CC. Whether you like it or not, CCS was created to solve the problems of CC and therefore replace it permanently. Of course not everyone likes such major upgrades that somewhat even change the scope of a product, but this is not something that I can help you with. I can only tell you that the majority of our users accepted this and moved on.

3. AFAIK the decision to continue selling CodeCharge was based on several factors, such as:
- measurement of the demand, which if sufficient would justify continual development of this product. For some reasons some people may prefer CodeCharge over CodeCharge Studio and we wanted to see how many and why.
- the need for CodeCharge for development of projects already created with CodeCharge. For example if a consultant sells an application created with CC he may also want to sell his CC project, which may require another license of CodeCharge.
- the CC projects were not fully compatible with CCS, therefore we didn't want to force such upgrade onto everyone.
- it is not necessary to stop selling an older version of a product. Microsoft still sells (or was selling) Windows 98/Me, even though they long stopped developing it.

Plus I think that whatever anyone does, there will always be someone else who won't like it. If we stopped selling anything, the next question on the forums would be exactly about why have we done that :-)
And I can propose to our management to stop offering CC for sale and see what happens.

4. CodeCharge is supported in the form of critical bugs fixes when needed, however we always recommend upgrading to CodeCharge Studio as it is the actual upgrade. We do not hide the fact that our current focus is CodeCharge Studio and we only promote CCS on our home page.
If you want new features for CC then they are already available in the form of CodeCharge Studio.

5. We still have (unspecified) plans for CodeCharge.
Our current focus is CodeCharge Studio 3.0, however once it is completed (hopefully by end of the year) then we are already thinking about some ideas for merging CodeCharge and CodeCharge Studio together, possibly in another form. For example imagine that CodeCharge could generate a CodeCharge Studio project so that you could quickly make some adjustments in CCS (or not), then generate the final application. This is just one possibility of an implementation and I cannot vouch that this is what will happen. Actually the ideas I am aware of go far beyond CodeCharge and CodeCharge Studio and I cannot comment on them in more detail due to confidentiality reasons.
The fact is that the planning of that next product has not yet started and no one even knows for sure what, when or if will happen in that respect.
That's why I would rather recommend that everyone strongly considers upgrading to CodeCharge Studio, and if CodeCharge comes back in the future in one form or another then so be it.

Best regards to all.

Rip
Posted: 07/14/2004, 2:11 PM

Peterr,

I have to disagree that CCS is an upgrade. Its an entirely DIFFERENT product.

Its like Frontpage to Notepad (where Frontpage is a paint to work with, and Notepad isn't).

There are alot of features in CCS that is not needed and makes the software difficult to use; we want simplicity, not bloated software. CCS is bloated.

CC does not have problems and whomever put that into your companies heads that there were any needs to actually use their own software.

I could control the look of my fonts, or html, that's what the CSS style in CC comes into play. I've never had problems in controling what I wanted my pages to look like when generated.

CCS is not flexible. In fact, like Frontpage, its hardly flexible. You are stuck using its interface, and the code implementation is difficult to muddle through. IN cc its straightforward and to the point.

The ONLY things I want see added to CC without it becoming CCS, is the allow choosers to put templates into the DB instead of creating static pages and allow us to modify HTML code in an editor of our own choosing and designate that editor within CC.

That's all it needs. CCS will never be an upgrade to CC.

peterr

Posted: 07/14/2004, 3:43 PM

Rip,

I share what you feel because sometimes I want to post similar messages on other forums for good products that were abandoned or replaced. But the fact is that since CCS release the demand for CodeCharge is almost nonexistent with near-nil sales.

Secondly, I believe that the initial concept for CCS was meant to be an unpgrade and really looked excellent on paper. And I still think that it turned out great, but it lost the feel of CC as an undesired side effect. We never wanted to kill CC and maybe that's why we're still thinking about how to put the two together in the future.

Every day we receive various suggestions and feature requests, so we have a pretty good feel of how to improve our product(s). Many of the features that we wanted to add required a different approach and rethinking of the product interface.

I don't know which programming language you're using, but I'll tell you what: why don't you try to modify the generated code to read the templates from the database instead of static files?
If the changes are not too extensive (and I suspect only minor changes) then I may even get someone at YES to quickly apply these changes to the code generation engine, so that it gets generated the way you want.
You could probably place some variable in Common.php that would contain the SQL statement for retrieving the template from DB, so that CC GUI wouldn't need to be modified to select the database table + field.

Rip
Posted: 07/14/2004, 7:47 PM

Since it was one of your support guys that came up with the code, it should be "noted" as a suggestion to be included in an update/upgrade for CodeCharge

I'd post it for you, but I want GUARANTEE that it will we offered as a upgrade for Code Charge. NOT CodeCharge Studio.
olimpiu

Posted: 08/03/2004, 6:55 AM

I know this may sound weird from a business point of view, but have you ever considered offering CC 2.0 for open source development?

Thanks
Posted: 08/16/2004, 9:09 AM

Since
Quote :
the demand for CodeCharge is almost nonexistent with near-nil sales
YesSoftware shouldn't have interest in CC anymore, while the O.S. community might.

(I know, I know... I'm dreaming)
LR
Posted: 08/18/2004, 4:50 AM

I would like to encourage Yes to work on the upgrade to CC. There are many of us that developed large, robust apps in CC and absolutely cannot abandon CC. I tried to upgrade my apps to CCS when it first came out and the curve was going to be large to learn but the conversion of my existing apps was too much over the top. I would gladly pay a hefty upgrade fee to have a way to get to use some of the tools in CCS. I have had to rewrite a number of CC functions to make CC work in today's world. (like turning off register globals or using the preferred superglobals) I would rather focus my time on building large apps rather than worrying about bandaiding my IDE. I think CC is a super tool. I have developed apps robust enough to handle a very large rollout to a Fortune 500 company. The code is solid and the customer is happy. I don't want to change my development platform but going to CCS at the current time is the same as me choosing another competitor. It is a very different product and the CC projects do not upgrade well to it. Let me write a check to have an upgrade.
cdm dot net
Posted: 10/10/2004, 8:30 PM

I'm in agreement with olimpiu. Contemplating opening up Code Charge (not studio) to the Open Source community maybe a solution for some of your current CC customers, like myself and Rip.

I quote from Yes Rep peterr. "Every day we receive various suggestions and feature requests, so we have a pretty good feel of how to improve our product(s)", while this doesn't state CC and not CCS it certainly implies it given the context of this topic.

I have just placed a request for a copy of the ASP template and compiler for the template as a solution to my desire to add extra features to CC.

I agree with peterr thou. CCS was intended to be an upgrade, but obviously further development has taken it much further. Personally i'm too stuck in nice, clean Classic ASP 2.0 and after looking at the only ASP template in CCS (ASP 3.0, exlcude ASP.NET as it's not backwards compatible and not really like classic ASP) i'm not too keen to move on up.

Notice here that asp.net is an upgrade to ASP and neither is alike.
affriedl

Posted: 12/06/2004, 2:51 PM

CodeCharge is/was a good product.
I feel a little cheated that is was dropped and that my upgrade options are expensive - and yearly. That is the way of all software these days it seems.

Back to the point of the thread though....
I'd like to see better wizard functionality in CSS - like the Wizard Functionality of the CC of old -- at the page set level. Additionally, I found after purchasing CC, that most projects I write do not fit the Security Model of CC ( nor CCS for that matter ) and I would like to be able to use CC and/or CCS also as an embedded 'component' builder. I want to be able to include code for my own security model, and have that execute BEFORE CodeCharge Studio begins churning data.

Case Study - 2 Different Projects
1) I have a CMS eCommerce system in ASP that provides excellent group based security already implemented- I want to CC some of the new Admin functionality, and possibly the user side too... however, CC and CCS want to do everything: security, presentation, all of it.

2) Company where I'm consulting at the moment - eCommerce system with an Administration system to control it - in JSP... whattaya know, they have an Oracle Based Security System already in place at the enterprise level that uses Database Roles... neither CC nor CCS take kindly to such things...

I agree with the flexibility issue brought up earlier. It's a great product if you don't need any control, a good product if you need and little, and doesn't work if you need to merge with existing source.

Being able to blast out grids and edit tables of data and use them within the security / application model that already exists is what will bring my $$$ 'round for the second time.
Alice
Posted: 12/09/2004, 2:53 PM

>>>There are many of us that developed large, robust apps in CC and absolutely cannot abandon CC.<<<<

Same here - we have multiple installations operating at Whole Of Government level - Cannot abandon CC and no $$ to redevelop in CCS or any other.

Love CC, like CCS.
Anand
Posted: 12/12/2004, 2:27 AM

i would like to suggest CC like code generation in CCS, as it was simple to understand and modify whatever way we wants.

i am very happy with code generated by CC
Chadastrophic
Posted: 12/29/2004, 7:44 PM

I have to say, change is hard as programs advance. I can recall dreamweaver version1, and how different it is than dreamweaver MX 2004, I think CCS is now headed in the right direction. Although i must strongly agree with the point that everyone is making here.

POINT:
Migration of existing CC apps is complex and costly and an object that correctly converts CC apps into CCS apps should be a top priority of yesSoftware.

I owe a great amount of my company's success to CC and the folks at yesSoftware, and I would love to move into using CCS full time, although its true, the learning curve + inflexibility of the code upgrades from CC to CCS files makes it nearly impossible for me and my company.

The learning curve is something that I can deal with, but learning and recoding with the possibility of having to seriously recode our apps makes a non viable option.

In any case, the next customer we develop for will be developed in CCS.

Keep up the good work yesSoftware and thanks again.
Chad
quasimidi

Posted: 03/01/2005, 7:24 AM

Peterr is there any update for the new version of .0?
Please share your information.

Thanks

Robert

Posted: 03/01/2005, 9:08 AM

CodeCharge is no longer being sold or maintained, thus no upgrades are planned for this product.
Marcus

Posted: 03/01/2005, 10:16 AM

Quote peterr:
CodeCharge is no longer being sold or maintained, thus no upgrades are planned for this product.

I love CodeCharge for its simplicity.
knightcoder
Posted: 03/09/2005, 10:40 AM

If CodeCharge is not being sold anymore why doesn't YesSoftware releases it as a free product for the community? O:)
peterr

Posted: 03/09/2005, 10:52 AM

I don't know the answer, but my personal opinion would be:
1. Is Windows 95 or 98 available for free because it is not being sold and supported anymore (by Microsoft)? O:)
2. CodeCharge Studio is CodeCharge 4.0", just the name was "enhanced". If you sell a product, would you release previous versions of it for free?
3. CodeCharge could compete with CodeCharge Studio.
4. CodeCharge technology can still be reused, either in CodeCharge Studio or in other potential/future products. And I suspect that this will happen at some point.

knightcoder
Posted: 03/10/2005, 3:02 AM

But Microsoft still supports Windows 9x, there are still patches and new software for these OS. Microsoft never said to its client's that software developed for windows 9x wouldn't run on 2000 or XP!

The annoying thing is that YesSoftware is not planning any maintenance for this product, leaving its client's with no simple way to upgrade to CCS.

I would agree with CCS being an upgrade to CC if we could convert an entire project to CCS directly.
 Page 1 of 2  Next Last

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login